A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 29th April 2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
On with engine removal. In keeping with the generally cooperative nature of the car so far, only two screws on the electronics box are seized. One can be recovered, and this rusty one will be replaced
Is the co-operative nature down low miles or dedicated regular maintenance??
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 30th April 2022, 05:59 AM

Its a combination of usage, maintenance, and storage conditions leading to particular characteristics of each car.

Evergreen needed 14 hours for the timing belt because both bumper bolts were utterly seized, and thats only on 80k, but the front end hadn't been off in a long time.

Regular maintenance helps if done well, but the Murple was regularly maintained to an abysmal standard so that was utterly ruined.

Using them really is key - the urban daily drivers are usually better to work on than the Sunday specials because the former get nice and hot regularly and burn off the moisture. Both of mine suffer from not being driven much, but round here they would just get trashed if used every day.
Old 30th April 2022, 08:32 PM

Suspension off before removing the engine. Its pretty much standard now that anything which hasn't been replaced in the last few years will be seized solid, and compliant as this car is being, the tie rod ends are stuck in the uprights. I didn't even try the pinch bolts. Luckily the tie rod ends came out of the tie rods, which is a rare treat, so just unscrewed the ends rather than having to cut them off.

Both corners off, ready to be broken down

One of the sleeves came out of an upright - fairly common, but I thought it was worth showing as it cropped up the other day. This steel sleeve is used to create the taper in the aluminium uprights, as the aluminium wouldn't hold it on its own. They are pressed in and usually solid, but do pop out from time to time.

Put the arm in the vice and then attach the 3-jaw puller

Then mount the puller itself in the vice, otherwise it just flops about

and the sleeve pops off with quite a bang. Its worth noting that the A6 C5 and A4 B6 both use the same sleeves as the D2, so if you lose or damage a sleeve, its much easier to find donor A4 or A6 parts from which to remove the sleeve than it is to find D2 parts

The sleeve will knock back in to its hole easily enough, and I will coat it in a thin film of Loctite 638 retainer which will stop it ever coming out again.

The junction box is undamaged! More amazingly, the little stud which holds the starter cables (on the right) didn't snap off I think thats the first time that's ever come apart cleanly!

The lower strut braces have taken a big hit at some point. The bar is quite bent and will need straightening. The bolts all came out without a fight too, which is a rare treat.

The impact on the bar has cracked this lower mounting plate. These are getting very hard to come by these days so this will be repaired rather than replaced.

The head was almost completely ground off one of the gearbox mount bolts!

Some dressing with the grinder removed the mushroomed-over head and left just enough spline to get a tool in it

The gearbox rear output seal is dripping without the shaft even moving

Whoever did the seal previously seems to have dilligently cleaned up all of the CV joint grease and not replaced it! Luckily this joint doesn't see much deflection so it hasn't caused any damage so I will re-grease it before putting the drivetrain back in

Engine coming out

Lots of pieces to tidy up in the morning, then I can split the engine and box

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	28302   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	28303   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	28304   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	28305   Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	28306   Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	28307   Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	28308   Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	28309   Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	28310   Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	28311  

Name:	031.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	28312   Click image for larger version

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	28313   Click image for larger version

Name:	033.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	28314   Click image for larger version

Name:	034.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	28315   Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	28316   Click image for larger version

Name:	036.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	28317   Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	28318   Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	28319  
Old 30th April 2022, 09:28 PM
Banned

Smooth sailing for once!
And a productive day at world D2 headquarters
Old 1st May 2022, 08:39 PM

Another good day today, although I did start off with a bit of a challenge. I stripped all the wiring and plumbing off and then realised I'd put the engine on an arrangement of pallets where I couldn't get it off again

The engine crane won't fit past the pallet to reach the engine

Since I've been using a pallet truck to get the engines out, I've had a constant struggle trying to get an arrangement which works. The wooden trolley was better for post-removal handling so I need to build a new thing which is a compromise of the two.

I balanced it on a couple of 2x4s so I could get the pallet out, and then the engine crane could go underneath

On the separating machine

Oil draining

I'll suck the old oil out of the converter too. This takes a few days, giving it a few pumps every time I walk past, as the oil is very slow to drain out of the vanes to the centre hub

Engine and gearbox on stands ready for cleaning tomorrow

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	28320   Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	28321   Click image for larger version

Name:	041.jpg
Views:	576
ID:	28322   Click image for larger version

Name:	042.jpg
Views:	571
ID:	28323   Click image for larger version

Name:	043.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	28324   Click image for larger version

Name:	044.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	28325   Click image for larger version

Name:	045.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	28326  
Old 2nd May 2022, 10:32 AM

If anyone wonders why I'm being quiet for a change, two reasons:
1. I've been away, incommunicado, with family until today.
2. I've been waiting for this for years and am in total awe!

PS The strut brace damage underneath was prior to my ownership.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd May 2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Another good day today, although I did start off with a bit of a challenge. I stripped all the wiring and plumbing off and then realised I'd put the engine on an arrangement of pallets where I couldn't get it off again
A Trapezoidal pallet at the base that the crane fits round (with more normal ones on top) might do the job? Probably fairly easy to make from an existing pallet.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd May 2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
A Trapezoidal pallet at the base that the crane fits round (with more normal ones on top) might do the job? Probably fairly easy to make from an existing pallet.
The pallet jack doesn't fit in the engine crane that way either. It needs to be a solution which allows the crane to come in perpendicular to the car so it can grab the assembly in line with the bellhousing. I have some ideas

Cleaning today:

Draining the front diff

The engine is a bit grubby at the front

The oil cooler pipe is still intact, but was leaking past the o-rings

Nice and clean

Well, apart from under here! I realised at this point I still haven't bought a replacement shop vac, and this gunge is far too nasty to be sucked up by Henry so it'll have to wait a few days

FSI what? Laughs in Port Injection

Acorns!

Nice and golden brown inside, no carbon buildup or sludge

Taped up the inlet ports so no fod gets in there while I work on everything else

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	046.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	28330   Click image for larger version

Name:	047.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	28331   Click image for larger version

Name:	048.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	28332   Click image for larger version

Name:	049.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	28333   Click image for larger version

Name:	050.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	28334   Click image for larger version

Name:	051.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	28335   Click image for larger version

Name:	052.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	28336   Click image for larger version

Name:	053.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	28337   Click image for larger version

Name:	054.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	28338   Click image for larger version

Name:	055.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	28339  

Name:	057.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	28340   Click image for larger version

Name:	058.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	28341   Click image for larger version

Name:	056.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	28342  
Old 2nd May 2022, 06:56 PM

Is it new tensioner time or just pads?
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 2nd May 2022, 06:57 PM

Working on a Bank Holiday.
I'd just assumed the oil cooler pipe had cracked from the leakage, though it does look distorted. As for acorns, yes we have Oak trees by the driveway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strummagnet View Post
Is it new tensioner time or just pads?
I'm assuming/budgeting for both unless the Doctor says otherwise.

Last edited by HPsauce; 2nd May 2022 at 06:59 PM.