A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 24th May 2022, 10:21 AM

Default MOT Time (Delayed)... and Mystery Bolt

Pleased to say that the car has passed yet another MOT with zero advisories.

It was due the MOT at the start of April but due to the continuing backlog here caused initially by faulty lifts (http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15474) and then the virus, despite booking over a month early, the closest date I could get was the third week in May at a centre 65 miles away. Of the 15 centres we have, there was only one that had a slightly earlier date, and that was 90 miles away.

Anyway, job done. Now, a little test, brought about by doing some prep work for the MOT. Can you identify the mystery bolt? The only information you get is that it is approximately 68mm long. Bonus points if you can guess how much I spent on tools getting it out? MJ is excluded as she knows all about it, since I pestered her with questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 D2 PITA Bolt (Medium).jpg
Views:	192
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	28526  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 24th May 2022, 10:40 AM

I recognise the extractor bit.
End of my expertise.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 24th May 2022, 10:47 AM

I've no idea what it holds but I'll guess £3.50 on tools.

The conical seat suggests it's for something that solid and needs to be really secure but from the unthreaded length also quite deep, like brakes, but it's clean.
Or seats, but I think they're shorter?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 24th May 2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 24th May 2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
MJ is excluded
boooo!

Old 24th May 2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
boooo!

Had to! Even if I hadn't pestered you, you'd know what it was for.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 24th May 2022, 07:51 PM

I'd guess
99p for the tool (postage excluded)
And that screw holds something like the screen wash reservoir
Old 26th May 2022, 02:54 PM

The offending article is item #33 in the attached image. It is the bolt that holds in the flanged shaft that the propshaft attaches to. This needs removing so that the infamous rear output shaft seal can be replaced (#31). The bolt in question is supposed to be torqued to a measly 25Nm.

I snapped a brand new T40 torx and wasn't even applying that much pressure. The snapped off section was stuck in the head of the torx and refused to come out, despite using little picks and various other items to try and shift it. Tried magnets, Araldite (overnight) and even something called Chemical Metal (overnight) to try and get a square head screwdriver to stick to it, but all were useless.

MJ suggested tungsten carbide burrs to drill the broken bit out which worked. Then had to hammer in a larger bit and then had a young lad with more strength and a breaker bar try to get the bolt out, but all we could manage was to strip the bolt more. Had decided to give up at that point and just live with the issue, and on my way to get some CV joint grease, thought about using a screw/bolt extractor (in the original photo), and on the way home considered freezing the bolt, despite the numerous times I'd read online about heating them. A quick trip to Screwfix and got some Arctic Products Crack-it. Followed the instructions on the can and after about 15 minutes the bolt broke free. Initially thought that the head had just snapped off with the pressure applied, but thankfully it was okay. As can be seen in the original photo, there was no signs of thread lock being used or it being cross threaded, so can only put it down to the enthusiastic 'mechanic' (and I use that term in it's loosest sense) who replaced it for me about six years ago.

Excluding the cost of the CV joint grease and the seal which I had to buy anyway, it cost about £41 in parts (Chemical Metal - £12, Burr set - £14, Screw/Bolt extractor set - £6 and Crack-it - £9), and all that for an issue with a £4 bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 D2 Rear Output Shaft Seal.png
Views:	144
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	28527  

Old 26th May 2022, 03:49 PM

Had a similar issue with a caliper bolt - luckily there’s a nice chunky head to it so was relatively easy to use a tungsten carbide drill bit and some lube to drill the head off and lift the caliper out of the way. At which point it just unscrewed…..

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 26th May 2022, 10:15 PM

Ohhh… I am just about to tackle this one, so hopefully my bolt has not been done up quite so tightly! It is actually the other side that is pouring out oil, but the right side is looking pretty damp too, so I will be changing both while I have the subframe and suspension all out and the access is a bit easier.
Old 27th May 2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmgibb View Post
It is actually the other side that is pouring out oil, but the right side is looking pretty damp too, so I will be changing both while I have the subframe and suspension all out and the access is a bit easier.
I saw your thread about the work you're doing, although I think you've mistaken which one I mean. Mine's was to the output shaft to the rear axle, not the front driveshafts, but I think they may use the same bolt. If they've never been touched since leaving the factory I think your's will be a doddle.

My front ones are okay which is good, because I don't fancy trying to do them in situ on axle stands.