A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 1st April 2014, 06:26 PM

Default It's a start...but what colour!?

So, got these little beuts. Both brand new with new (different) rubber. I only really need 1 more as my spare is identical.

So, if anyone needs a 255/45/18 Bridgestone RE040 or Dunlop SP9000, let me know or I'll ebay them.

I didn't realise these came as an option in black. Possibly as it was a spare?

Anyway, dilemma now is what colour to have them. Black, silver, or (tempting) matt (flat) silver - which will match the new zimmerman discs.

Old 1st April 2014, 06:44 PM

Oops, posted in wrong section - aplogies!!
Old 2nd April 2014, 06:26 AM

What colour is the car?

I'm not a fan of dark wheels.
It always look likes it running steels.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 2nd April 2014, 06:33 AM

Hi Dan
Can you post picture of the car??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:19 AM

I've always loved Fat Fives, even before getting my A8. Just don't think I could go down an inch now though .

I vote silver, keep them original.

Did you get them on ebay?
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
What colour is the car?

I'm not a fan of dark wheels.
It always look likes it running steels.
Car here...grey (not sure what the "official" colour is:

And yes, got them on ebay for less than half the cost of just the new tyres
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:47 PM

Hi Dan
If anything other than silver it would have to be gunmetal to kind of match the color of the car. Problem here I think is the size of the wheels. 18s just don't look good in any other color than silver, plus, fat fives, I love them, but they look best in silver. 19s and 20s are a different story, I know it may sound weird, but thats my opinion.
Don't forget, it's your car and what you like you should go for. It's no point to go for something everyone likes but you don't.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 2nd April 2014, 05:58 PM

I'd go with silver, but a colleague has an A5 in that colour with gunmetal and that looks nice, but they are a thinner spoked, more angular wheel.
I'm getting new tyres and the wheels powder coated on Friday, so will let you know how it goes.
They powder coat them with silver primer, then wet spray them and then a clear powder coat to protect the paint and bring up the gloss.
Out of the examples shown, I liked the OE Merc AMG Silver as it was a warm silver and very bright, whereas the Audi one looked a little cold/blue. The man said the AMG and other highly reflective silvers are very unforgiving to blemishes such as kerbing and corrosion, so he will call me once they are stripped and tell me whether to go Audi OE or similar instead.
Discounted price was £330.
Old 2nd April 2014, 06:29 PM

Well I've just bought these beauties, they have been refurbished and not used since, so "as new" condition. I believe they have been "diamond cut" refurbished. The picture doesn't do justice, it was getting dark and my phone camera is not the greatest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140402_191802.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	7652  
Old 2nd April 2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audifin View Post
Well I've just bought these beauties, they have been refurbished and not used since, so "as new" condition. I believe they have been "diamond cut" refurbished. The picture doesn't do justice, it was getting dark and my phone camera is not the greatest
#

Love those, and very nearly bought a set and would have done but for getting the above at a price just too good to turn down.

I'm leaning towards silver. As I'll be getting both sets refurbed mind, I might have summer ones in silver, and winter in graphite. Best of both worlds.