A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th May 2018, 04:56 PM

Question Assistance requested - BEM / Battery voltages ...

Guys; having had long time battery charging issues, with supposedly 'good' battery and alternator, I'm now determined to try and get to the bottom of it.

I've had my 2005 A8 for 10 years now but VCDS only for about 2. Sadly, I've never tried to use VCDS to monitor what's going on until now. I'm focusing attention on the Battery Manager ECU's measurement blocks, as Group 1 - fields 1 and 2 - show the 'alternator output [requested]' and the 'battery voltage [measured]' in real time.

I'm interested in the BEM values when the engine is idling after a start.

I've looked at my numbers several times in the last few weeks and they consistently show Alternator 14.3V and Battery 13.7V

I've directly asked one forum member for his numbers - Thanks Ray - but I'd be grateful if a few other forum members [4 or 5?] with VCDS could do a quick check of those ECU 61 Group1 fields when convenient and enter their values here for comparison.

However, if you'd like to contribute to the thread and you haven't got VCDS, I'd still be interested in seing what your battery voltage is, engine on and idling, measured with a DVM.

Thanks - Julian

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!