A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 6th July 2017, 01:27 AM

Just how well do these 2.8's perform?
I had a 2.6 (12V) in my old A4 and that was quite entertaining to drive, if not blisteringly fast.
115kW (150hp) and 1380kg for the A4Q
145kW (193hp) and 1580kg (Wow!) for the A8QS

Some quick Marty maths puts them at 83.33kW/T and 92.77kW/T.
Allowing for the fact that the factory curb weights and real life curb weights rarely equate, the A8 has higher overall mass and can carry more fuel, is an automatic (vs my A4's manual) I would expect them to have similar real world performance. Which is quite adequate from my A4 memories!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 7th July 2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
Just how well do these 2.8's perform?
I had a 2.6 (12V) in my old A4 and that was quite entertaining to drive, if not blisteringly fast.
115kW (150hp) and 1380kg for the A4Q
145kW (193hp) and 1580kg (Wow!) for the A8QS

Some quick Marty maths puts them at 83.33kW/T and 92.77kW/T.
Allowing for the fact that the factory curb weights and real life curb weights rarely equate, the A8 has higher overall mass and can carry more fuel, is an automatic (vs my A4's manual) I would expect them to have similar real world performance. Which is quite adequate from my A4 memories!
Having replaced my 3.2 B7 A4 with one of these, I was expecting it to be quite sluggish in comparison but it's surprisingly spritely for such a boat of a thing. Not going to set any world records but the 2.8 does get a move on for such a lazy lump, sounds pretty good too. However I didn't get this car to do anything remotely fast so it's more than adequate for my needs

2002 Audi A8 2.8 Quattro Sport - the gentleman's cruiser
Old 11th July 2017, 01:29 PM

Update!

The motor has been taken apart for a proper look - image of what was found included!

As you can see, sealant was used whenever the gaskets were last replaced (why, I do not understand) and there is oil EVERYWHERE. The following has been done:

- New spark plugs
- New leads
- New cam cover gaskets
- New seals as required
- Good old clean up
- Crankcase ventilation hoses replaced
- K&N panel filter fitted
- Fresh oil and filter
- Coolant flush

I'm picking the car up later today and am hoping the running issues I had were due to the poor condition of the gaskets / oil seepage. Time will tell..!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19764596_268852783522783_6243279317481029632_n.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	16484  

Last edited by Resolutionary; 11th July 2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11th July 2017, 01:39 PM

Photobucket won't display your pictures, but just attach/upload it here directly - the limits are quite generous.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th July 2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Photobucket won't display your pictures, but just attach/upload it here directly - the limits are quite generous.
Thanks - Photobucket is messy these days. Image attached in previous post.. you'll see what I've had to deal with!

Old 11th July 2017, 04:22 PM

Eww! Looks like someone just gunged it to try and stop a leak rather than just replacing the aging gasket. It should run much better without the spark plugs being bathed in oil
Old 11th July 2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Eww! Looks like someone just gunged it to try and stop a leak rather than just replacing the aging gasket. It should run much better without the spark plugs being bathed in oil
That's exactly what happened!

Good news though - picked it up and my lord it drives like new! No lumpy revs, no hesitation, the smell of burning oil is gone, it's just better in every way. Silly how something so simple as a car running right can make a person so happy but I really am very pleased right now!

New serpentine belt and a bunch of other bits just to keep on top of maintenance for a while. I've been advised of exhaust leaks which mean I'll be going the stainless route in the next few weeks, plus I will be looking for an arm kit for the front and back in the next few months - but for now, wohoo!

Old 11th July 2017, 10:01 PM

Old 12th July 2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolutionary View Post
That's exactly what happened!

Good news though - picked it up and my lord it drives like new! No lumpy revs, no hesitation, the smell of burning oil is gone, it's just better in every way. Silly how something so simple as a car running right can make a person so happy but I really am very pleased right now!

New serpentine belt and a bunch of other bits just to keep on top of maintenance for a while. I've been advised of exhaust leaks which mean I'll be going the stainless route in the next few weeks, plus I will be looking for an arm kit for the front and back in the next few months - but for now, wohoo!
Great to hear a good news story and you will always get a good feeling when you get something sorted. What a bodged job that was! And a big to you for the determination to get it (and other issues) done. Over the past year I have had some issues sorted (control arms, brakes, discs, cats, etc etc sorted) and having been away for two weeks I took the '8 for a (very) spirited drive to remove the rust from the brakes and I was grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat all the way through.
Old 17th July 2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Great to hear a good news story and you will always get a good feeling when you get something sorted. What a bodged job that was! And a big to you for the determination to get it (and other issues) done. Over the past year I have had some issues sorted (control arms, brakes, discs, cats, etc etc sorted) and having been away for two weeks I took the '8 for a (very) spirited drive to remove the rust from the brakes and I was grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat all the way through.
Tell me about it - apparently the garage has heard stories of the gaskets warping hence some people feel the need to involve sealant but I think that may exacerbate any underlying issues rather than rectify them!

Seems like you've already done the things on my list, I will be looking for a full front arm kit in due course (TRW / Lemforder / Meyle HD) but everything else, bar the exhaust, seems to be running well now.

I had Mr Exhaust look at my car in detail today, the team have suggested new flexi sections, new backbox and pipe, delete the centre box and put sports cats in place so I'm waiting for a quote now. I just want a tiny bit more grunt, both audible and in driving feel. Although mine is the lowly V6 I think it'd benefit from the upgrade, especially as the original exhaust is showing it's age in many places now!