A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 15th September 2018, 06:14 PM

Default Rear bumper alignment

It's been annoying me for a while now, I can see how to remove the bumper and how it slides on and off:

How it looks:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180915_1726335.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	20087

Undo bolts to remove:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180915_1740458.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	20088

I didn't see any inwards adjustment on the side brackets though so what might need doing?
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 16th September 2018, 12:56 PM

I've had the same issue with mine ever since I got it. I put it down to the fact that the previous owner managed to clip both rear corners, as both outer lights were cracked, and the left side has a small dent just below the light, as well as the paint being cracked on the bumper on both sides.

When I fitted the towbar, I discovered that the bumper was a replacement one, and I also noticed what appeared to me to be rear end damage. There is a cross beam along the back and it appears to have been pushed in, although this may be the design of it, I'm not sure. As like you, I was hoping that the side brackets could be adjusted, but didn't see anything.

This is what the rear end of mine look like:

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 16th September 2018, 01:50 PM

Isn't it annoying?
Once seen it cannot be unseen. Especially for the OCD folk

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 16th September 2018, 07:56 PM

That sort of misalignment would normally be within tolerance for most car makers - but not for members here!!
I had a few issues with the bumper (seized retaining bolts; trim clips; split trim between bumper and boot cill) and have spent some time trying to get perfect alignment. Part of the issue is that the bumper is not rigid and will try to fit whatever shape is best for it. The plastic retaining clips onto which it slides do have some adjustment but not SFAIK in a transverse direction. Mine suffers from the fact that I can align the trim with the boot cill for a nice fit but the bumper wheel arch section protrudes forward of the body panel comprising the upper wheel arch.
Sorry that that is not an answer to your problems but i do feel your pain
Old 16th September 2018, 09:35 PM

Mine is almost the same as yours Steamship, the driver's side is worse than the passenger side. Perhaps mine is a replacement too, it's had a couple of light parking bumps on the rear so could be the reason.

Thanks David and Ray, maybe I'll just have to live with it! it could be a lot worse I guess!
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)