A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 26th January 2013, 09:36 AM

Default Digital radio

I need sort out a new cable from the car antenna to the back of the rns e....but I can't but think that while I m doing that I should try to fit digital radio.

If I do fit a digital radio antenna will the music still come through if I tune into the fm part of the stereo or will it be through an av feed I the tv part????
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012

Old 26th January 2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanjS8 View Post
I need sort out a new cable from the car antenna to the back of the rns e....but I can't but think that while I m doing that I should try to fit digital radio.

If I do fit a digital radio antenna will the music still come through if I tune into the fm part of the stereo or will it be through an av feed I the tv part????
Hi Ranj
Depends on how you do things but I would have thought you would need a digital radio tuner to be fitted along with the digital aerial in which case that would all input through the av in feed. Your existing analogue radio would therefore still be available through the standard tuner and aerial as it stands on FM/AM
How are you intending to tune in to digital radio? that will dictate how you do things I guess

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 26th January 2013, 01:07 PM

Default Digital aerial

I was hoping to do away with the existing radio antenna and replace it with a bee-sting type digital equivalent.....so as soon I do that the fm radio bit won't work....just through av input which is not ideal....but exceptable....

But in an ideal world I wouldn't like to lose the functionality just yet...how is it done in the d3s....
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012

Old 26th January 2013, 01:28 PM

D3 has a seperate tuner for the DAB essentially, and has a DAB antenna in there I think.. Though a standard FM antenna should pickup DAB, should it not?

I'd maybe think about one of the aftermarket units with DAB already built in, by the time you've dropped all the cabling, etc. in, that may be the easiest route (though not the cheapest).

I know.. I know..

Old 26th January 2013, 03:23 PM

Default Digital radio

What I ll do is get the normal radio working and then look at getting the digital stuff working when I getting the tv tuner working.

Old 26th January 2013, 09:05 PM

I wonder if DAB was available as a factory option on RNS-E equipped TTs etc? Might suggest there's a potential plug and play solution, although may only be for the later RNS-E units with better connectivity?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC