A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 22nd April 2019, 09:16 AM

Default What's in the workshop this weekend? . . . General VOD

Well, I bought another one This one literally saved from death with not a moment to spare! A friend has a unit on a scrap yard, so when a D2 rolled in, he called me straight away. FL1 3.7 Quattro, sport seats, blown gearbox. "I'll be there in 2 hours"

£600 later, I had this:

A one-owner 3.7 quattro, with sport seats (not a Sport model mind). It was bought new at Exeter Audi as a company car, and then at the end of its company service was bought from the company by it's driver and kept by him until about six months ago when the gearbox failed at 117K. It appears to have had the same private plate from new until it was disposed of.

I could tell as soon as I opened the door it had suffered some serious water ingress - it smells like a locker room and there is mould all over the place. Still, a decent haul of parts for the money. At least, that was the plan

I got VCDS on it to read the gearbox codes and see just how exploded it was, and curiously there were no 'incorrect ratio' codes normally associated with a blown 5HP19, just loads and loads of sensor and solenoid failures. The ECU was the same - it had three pages of codes , and the ESP unit also had half a dozen. I immediately went under the bonnet and opened up the electronics box to find it dripping wet inside Could it really be this easy...?

All the ECU codes cleared fine, as did a couple of TCU codes once I'd cleaned up all the body harness connectors. I had a spare FL ESP unit so I just swapped and recoded that, and that was also fine. I didn't have a spare TCU of the right code though, so pulled that out and opened it up...

Oh dear! Still, I had some time so I got out the isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush and got scrubbing.

After an hour of it sitting on a hot radiator I put it back in.

Result! It drives absolutely fine, and no more drivetrain fault codes. It really was that easy

To celebrate, I gave him a bath and named him General Vod

Only two minor bits of body damage

Of course now he's working and has a name, he can't be a parts car any more can he?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	21439   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	21440   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	1068
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	21441   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	21442   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	21443   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	21444   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	1078
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	21445   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	21446   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	21447   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	1065
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	21448  

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	21449   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	21450   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	21451   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	21452   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	1026
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	21453  

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 12th January 2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: OP request
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:36 AM

Well that has to be the shortest "What's in the workshop this weekend?" thread ever, but great to see another D2 saved from the crusher.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:38 AM

I'm not finished yet
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:53 AM

Amazing how some people just simply can't be bothered to find out what is wrong. When there is obvious water ingress then it is highly likely to cause issues. Having said that, it gives opportunities for others (MJ) to buy them cheap with an 'easy' fix.

Well done MJ, you deserve some easy ones, although as you have said, 'this one isn't finished yet'!
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 22nd April 2019, 11:28 AM

The crazy thing is that it's already had a gearbox rebuild at some point! I guess it must have been out of warranty so when it started having problems again they just bailed on it rather than investigating.

This is my hit list prior to MoT on Tuesday:

Not on the list is 'remove swimming pool from driver's side carpet' and valet the interior so it doesn't smell of old socks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190422_114557.jpg
Views:	1227
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	21462  
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:17 PM

Good work and it’s just so important to keep as many good D2s on the road
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:31 PM

Would you not replace both front springs as a pair?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 22nd April 2019, 02:25 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Nice save

What's your plans for the car? Courtesy car perhaps, for when those of us who don't have another vehicle need to leave our cars with you?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 22nd April 2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Would you not replace both front springs as a pair?
If I was fitting new, yes, but I have a used one of similar mileage and the name of the game at the moment is to pass the MoT for as little outlay as possible. After that I'll drive it around and iron out the bugs and then decide what to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Nice save

What's your plans for the car? Courtesy car perhaps, for when those of us who don't have another vehicle need to leave our cars with you?
That is one potential option
Old 22nd April 2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
If I was fitting new, yes, but I have a used one of similar mileage and the name of the game at the moment is to pass the MoT for as little outlay as possible. After that I'll drive it around and iron out the bugs and then decide what to do with it.
Good point. I forgot that (a) it wasn't a customer's car and (b) you probably have one lying around!

I should have known better than to question it