A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 11th April 2014, 08:56 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Red face Brake misery continues

I don't know if anyone can help with this, but here goes.

Ever since I had my front calipers 'refurbished' I have brake problems. When I first get them back from the garage (A4 Audi), they're fine. Smooth as silk. But after about 3,000 miles, they start to judder.

Back to the garage for new pads (and discs last time) and they're fine again....for about 3,000 miles!

They've just started to judder again for the third time, 3,000 miles after the last set of new pads and discs. The first pads were Pagid, but the last ones weren't (but don't know what brand they are).

Now, A4 Audi tell me this: "the calipers were 'over sandblasted' and the pads are loose in the calipers. Once they pads 'bed in', then they move in the caliper and hence the shuddering".

To me, this sounds unlikely and I can't get my head around a) how sandblasting could really have such an impact on the calipers and b) how the brakes can perfect for as long as 3,000 miles (seems like a heck of a distance for bedding in) and then start to shudder.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).

Last edited by The_Laird; 11th April 2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11th April 2014, 10:08 AM

Sand blasting will remove some of the calipers but not enough to cause the pads to judder.

Can you feel it through the pedals or the car?

Are you a stamp on the breaks style of breaker?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 11th April 2014, 10:22 AM

I can feel the judder (and see it) through the steeing wheel and feel it on the pedal.

I'm usually a very gentle braker, but I have tried a few heavy foot sessions on the business park where I work, and it brings the car to a rapid halt no bother. However, on a couple of occasions there was a short skid and I didn't feel the ABS kick in. Relevant? The judder is worst, I think, from/at speeds of around 30mph and when the brakes are hot.

One thing I'm wondering is that they might not have replaced the tension spring. I'll have a look at the weekend. Would that cause these symptoms?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 11th April 2014, 10:27 AM

(/Start Beatbox)
He is the Laird from the Palace of Jim
He likes to drive hard (when the wife's not with him)
his braking is erratic at the best of times
but hes stamping on his brakes and not getting much sign. . .
(break it down?!)
Had his calipers refurbed, and brand new pads
Got his minions to fit them all, used all of his lads
But his brakes were a juddering
His wallet took a thuddering
and the driving is not Fab. . .
(/end beatbox)

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 11th April 2014, 10:42 AM

No idea.

Hows your bushes?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 11th April 2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
No idea.

Hows your bushes?
or could your discs be warped at all Jim?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 11th April 2014, 10:59 AM

Could be discs but they replaced them?
Twice?

Could put some copper slip on the runners for the pads and back of the pads. see if that helps if they are saying its the pads.

I'm trying to think what else it could be.

I assume he'd know what warped discs feel like?
Old 11th April 2014, 12:10 PM

Could be that the caliper isn't quite returning properly and causing the discs to warp, but not too likely.

One thing may be pad deposits, often only cured by skimming the disks.

I'd try copper grease on the back of the pads as above, might help. Also find a nice quiet road and do a few 80+ to 10 mph stops, with ABS kicking it, etc.

If the ABS sensor is a bit grubby, you might get some strangeness, but I'd have thought it would just appear through the pedal, but worth checking too.

I know.. I know..

Old 11th April 2014, 12:59 PM

Yes, discs replaced at least once (the last time) and, as per a recent thread that referred to warping, it's pretty near impossible to do and is a bit of an urban myth.
Old 11th April 2014, 12:59 PM

Jim, as you may remember with mine, it was a combination of pads (newly fitted Pagid's which then cracked) and control arm bushes which, if worn, amplify any other induced vibration. New (different make) pads and control arms cured it.
But, if I remember correctly didnt you have the complete set lower and upper arms replaced anyway? if so, what about alignment?

(by the way Neil, I am impressed - sort of - by your apparent rapper credentials. Just dont come to the annual meet with your trousers hanging off your butt and the labels of your M&S Y-Fronts showing. Thats NOT cool.)