A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 11th June 2016, 05:53 AM

Default strange clicking/ticking sound

I've used the search function and can't seem to find anything that would shed light on this, my car has developed a slide clicking/ticking sound when you turn the wheel, its most strange and quite erratic in its behaviour.

When cold, its occasional clicking when the car is moving and you turn the wheel, when its hot, you get a lot more clicking. It affects both sides of the car, so the sound appears to come from the left or the right side if you are steering that way.

Steering itself feels fine, same as always.

I parked the car up last night after a long drive and whilst static in N, turned the wheel full lock in both directions, the clicking was only occasionally there, but was still present, considerably quieter than before.

Checked under the car, no fluid anywhere - I suspect maybe something power steering pump related or even steering column.

Any tips on where to look or experiences from other owners?

Incidentally, with the windows up you can't hear it, but its obviously still there...

Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 02:49 PM

I would be concentrating on things that move when your steering, track rod ends etc based on what you have said.

When's your MOT due, might be worth taking it to a test centre and get her up on the ramp for a good check over.

My testing station is quite friendly and will let me under the car so can check things out.

Old 12th June 2016, 12:16 AM

Due in two weeks so will be getting them to check it out, was hoping to try and spot it myself first. I'll put her on stands soon and see what I can find

Thanks for the reply!
Old 12th June 2016, 12:17 PM

Does it still do it with engine off?

Could be dry top mounts if it does.

Have you done the simple stuff like check the fluid level?
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:07 AM

Still tracing this down and can't seem to find a solution, car flew through its MOT, drives absolutely fine, no knocking or noise over bumps either.

I checked the fluid level and she needed a little top up... what a stupid design!

So, put her back together and the same noise is there, no better or worse, just annoying if the windows are open as when they are up you don't hear anything.

Now its obviously playing on my mind as I want to solve it.

This is the noise when parked up - its worse when driving and even the slightest movement of the wheel makes the clicking - I really hope its not power steering pump or rack!

Crap video but...

In the meantime, any ideas?
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:34 AM

From the video, it always looks to do it when the steering is passing the same point. What about where the inner tie-rod bellows go through the arch liner - there is a metal clamp/clip around it that can catch on the liner.

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd April 2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
From the video, it always looks to do it when the steering is passing the same point. What about where the inner tie-rod bellows go through the arch liner - there is a metal clamp/clip around it that can catch on the liner.
hmmm, interesting - thanks for this, will get under the car later and see if thats the cause, would be mega if it was :-)