A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd August 2018, 07:14 AM

Default Changing rear brake pads and discs - need help

I'm not sure where to begin as it's a long story!
I went at changing my rear pads and discs two days ago. I'd bought OBDeleven and I'd managed to retract the parking brake OK. I put the car in jack mode and lifted the rear of the car up on axle stands. I removed the wheels and calipers and prised the pads (or what was left of them)off the disc and then found that I wouldn't be able to get the discs off without removing the caliper carrier. The job was getting bigger than I had anticipated as I thought I'd read somewhere that the discs could come out without removing the carrier bracket. Anyhow, I went at removing the carrier bolts which were a total pig to loosen and it took me about two hours of trying to figure it out before I had them all loose. The carriers off, I took out my piston retractor only to find that I had a two-pin plate and the A8 took a three-pin. I had a pain in my arse at this stage so I finished up for the evening. Next day I buy the three-pin plate for the piston retractor. In the meantime I had also read that the carrier bolts should be replaced when removed so I ordered four of them also. I went at retracting the pistons yesterday evening. The LHS was taking most of my effort to wind the piston in but eventually I got it all the way in. In the meantime I read that the pistons didn't need turning at all so on the RHS caliper I put on the retractor but didn't turn the plate and the piston went in a lot easier than the LHS although there was definitely some sort of 'creaking' sound at one stage. My next problem is that I can't remove the lower caliper carrier bolts from the hub carrier as the brake line is in the way and I'm not sure how to release it. Please see pic.

[IMG][/IMG]