A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 28th January 2016, 04:52 PM

Go on, test the compressor 😆

Old 28th January 2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
LOL the above & great to hear its better. Whats an EVHC?
Electronic vehicle health check

Bloody dealer money spinner

Last year we sold a 2004 Audi TT 100 k miles on it , pretty tidy car really but remember it was 11 years old last year , owner took it an Audi dealership they did an oil and filter (it had only just been done by me ) and one of the 'free' evch checks ..... the oil and filter change was £170 plus vat by the way .

Practically condemned it , £4500 worth of jobs , brakes needing 'urgent attention ' because of the smallest lip on the discs , under body and suspension components rusty , just surface rust .... its 11 years old , clutch needed replacing ...... nothing wrong with it ..... all kinds off jobs that just did not need doing .

Owner of the car came back to us on the bounce going nuts wanting money back , waving the dealers report at us , solicitors letters yadder yadder

Long story short we ended up getting RMI independent inspection with vosa present , dis proved most of the so called 'urgent attention ' jobs

We sent this report to dealers ..... There reply ...... "Well in our opinion the work was needed "
I have found the dealers don't work on older cars they only see them for the first 3 or 4 years then after that most owners go to a good independent, they see a bit of rust on a caliper and it need 4 new calipers or else a catastrophic event will take place .
I work on newish and older cars all the time , you get used to a bit of rust and corrosion here and there ..... its not such a big deal

Just beware of these health checks ..... the techs often get bonus off work brought in , get a second opinion if your unsure

By the way not saying all dealers are at it , there's good ones out there , ones that understand that a 5/6/ 7 year old car will not be like a brand new pin on the underside .
Rant over ..... can you feel the 30 years of agro working in the motor trade here
Hehe
Old 28th January 2016, 07:44 PM

Thanks for that clarification/rant. It was both informative and entertaining
Old 28th January 2016, 10:36 PM

Yeah, they do the EVHC for free. It's basically just a health check with a green/amber/red print out at the end if they find anything, with prices to rectify. They get the car up in the air and check bushes and belts etc. and go quite in depth to find faults but as soon as you mention you have a noise from the suspension or a funny electrical problem for example, they try and push you to agree to the £60/half hour diagnostic session....per fault!

I wouldn't normally go in for that sort of thing but I'm planning to do a couple of warranty claims and/or credit card claims against the dealer for things I want put right so need a robust report of anything that is wrong with the car.

Will try and do the compressor test again tomorrow and report back
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 1st June 2016, 05:36 PM

If you not complete "air suspension calibration" "lowering" process your suspension forgots basic setting.. I have tried lower my car.. I had couple of them errors.. Probably you type-in values too quick.. That's why you had error at channel 5. You have to go couple times till you get it right 🙈 I lowered mine by 15mm.. Then I tried lower just front axle by another 10mm.. But I am fed up with error messages so I left it 15mm all way around. Today I tried it again and same situation 🙄 So I ordered lowering links to drop front axle.. I bet on Sport air suspension you can only drop 15mm.. Cause I have seen people talking about 25mm but more likely it's on SE models..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	13466  
Old 1st June 2016, 07:40 PM

Just found in VCDS web page: In some cases the controller says "invalid value", start "rocking" the car a little bit, this should solve problem. 😆