A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 16th April 2016, 05:56 PM

Default Problem lowering suspension using vcds

Hi, hope someone may be able to help with this.

I invested in a Ross Tech VCDS. 1 reason among many was to lower my suspension. However on following the instructions for this I have not managed to get this to work. See link below.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/levelcontrol.html

I followed these instructions to the letter then test drove the car. Came back reconnected and then did it again but adding the mm values to the current values to lower it on each wheel.

Cut a long story short no matter what I did the values on each wheel measured manually were nothing like what we imputed and saved. And every time I go back to the vcds the values were just reset. But the car had changed when measured manually.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old 16th April 2016, 08:19 PM

I have same problem, but at same time I have a small air leak somewhere. Once I find and fix the leak, will try again.
Old 17th April 2016, 01:15 AM

I have come across a link which seem to explain the setup better. I was doing it right but what the instructions didn't say was the if your starting point is say 396mm and you want to lower it by 10mm you would type 406mm. But then you look at it and think no i want to go 5mm lower again. So when you load vcds screen up again it will display still 396mm which confused me as I thought it would have stored it as 406mm as that was what I just entered.
So I then type in 411mm so that I get the full 15mm drop. Incorrect you don't!

Apparently that would only further lower the car by another 15mm. What should be entered is 401mm and this will lower the car by the 5mm you wanted.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 1st June 2016, 05:25 PM

That's right.. I have tried lower my car by 15mm.. It worked fine.. But when I tried again to lower just a front axle it came with error on a channel 3. So last time I have just added same values for suspension to learn a basic settings.. Now I have new sets of wheels, rear axle sits alright, but front one still a bit high.. So I tried today again, drop it another 10mm on front.. But it came error on a channel 3.. Probably I am typing in values too quick.. I will give it a go later on.. If not, I have just ordered lowering link set 😁 Cause I have heard that you can lower 25mm with VCDS but maybe on SE models, cause Sport model suspension already is lower compared to SE models. That's how it looks rear axle lowered 15mm and sits on Rotiform R20 10.5J with Pirelli Pzero 285/35/20
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	13465  
Old 1st June 2016, 08:40 PM

Just found in VCDS web page: In some cases the controller says "invalid value", start "rocking" the car a little bit, this should solve problem. 😆