A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 10th April 2018, 10:42 AM

Personally I've always liked the hose to be extended up the wiper arm so the spray nozzle is always at the wiper blade through out it's travel.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 21st April 2018, 10:22 AM

The washers jets arrived today, hopefully the wiring connectors will arrive soon.

Tested them, both are around 50ohms, so just 0.25A each in a 12v circuit or about 3W.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 21st April 2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Personally I've always liked the hose to be extended up the wiper arm so the spray nozzle is always at the wiper blade through out it's travel.
I've got a 2015 XF and the washer jets are on the wiper arm, about half way up and it drives me bonkers! It also delivers a presumably eco friendly preset amount of screen wash too, which is never enough and so you just keep pressing it anyway!

The BIG downside of having them there is that the screenwash doesn't have enough time to travel along the wiper blade before it get's thrown off so the tops and the bottoms of the blade smear badly, especially on the bottom if you are driving along as simple physics dictate the water only travels up the wiper blade!

Give me 1990's tech washers any day of the week.

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 21st April 2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Andrew, I came across another site that sells only connectors for cars. Their website is as follows:

https://www.automotive-connectors.com/

CAUTION: They have lots!
Good find that man!!

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 26th April 2018, 10:24 PM

I've now received a couple of the Chinese heated fan spray heads, and they are quite loose when fitted. I have the spacers (thanks Ray) but for the life of me can not figure how they attach. Any pictures or help much appreciated. TIA
Old 28th April 2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Not so certain about the Skoda ones as I've not got my hands on them yet
Well they have arrived but are a complete waste of time, because:
1. The connector is NOT the same as the D2; it looks similar but is significantly larger so does not fit.
2. The unit is more "low profile" then the D2 or Focus units, probably one reason why the Russians raised it so much to clear the wiper arms.
3. The jet squirts more upwards than the Focus, and does not appear to be adjustable. (ref Russians again)
4. The unit is smaller so does not clip into the D2 mounting slot. (ditto)

But regarding the Focus ones:
Quote:
A quick rummage later and I found the originals I had replaced (why do I still have them? )
And one answer is that I also kept the washer/grommet that helped seal them tightly to the Focus bonnet.
The new ones didn't come with those, but moving them across makes the fitting into the D2 scuttle much more secure.

Just need some decent weather now to go out, connect and test them and if OK connect up the heating elements.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 28th April 2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 28th April 2018, 01:35 PM

PM sent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
I've now received a couple of the Chinese heated fan spray heads, and they are quite loose when fitted. I have the spacers (thanks Ray) but for the life of me can not figure how they attach. Any pictures or help much appreciated. TIA

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 3rd May 2018, 01:46 PM

Following the slight digression into washer jets and pipework (which I added to ) in MJ's thread about Vera's S8 I thought I'd continue here as it's more relevant.

I bought a spare scuttle panel (*from our sponsors) a while ago (to fix a mounting/sealing problem, but didn't use it in the end) and it included the jets and some pipework.

Sadly the jets have had the wiring cut off (not by me!) so can only be used unheated, but they'll do as spares. Prompted by the descaling comments I dunked them into some fairly serious professional descaler I use, based on Phosphoric acid, minimally diluted and warm.

As you can see in this photo, taken some time after starting, they are bubbling away nicely. And still are as I type nearly an hour later!
I positioned the jets downward, input pipe upwards, so that as they bubble away there will be a constant flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DescalingJets.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	18730  
Old 3rd May 2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Looking for results of testing those Ford mist type jets.
My prediction is that they'll aim too high
Hopefully they will be adjustable.
I've not tried fitting them yet, I'm still looking carefully at the geometry, and it's confusing.

I'm taking the angle of the mounting plates for the washer jets, with the scuttle panel correctly fitted (which mine wasn't, but now is) as a reference.
This appears to be pretty much parallel to, or very slightly inclined towards, the face of the windscreen.

The Focus jets come out pretty much parallel (maybe a degree or so above) their mounting plate. As they are more of a diffuse fan than two jets they will probably have less range.
Despite the description saying they are adjustable, they are NOT!

My current Audi jets are definitely angled down with respect to the reference plane, so hit the windscreen quite low down, but there is a reason for that:
I currently have non-OEM "aero" type wiper blades which sit slightly lower than the OEM metal articulated arms do, and my jets are aimed to pass below the arm and above the blade when the blade is "parked".

If I had OEM blades I would need to raise the jets somewhat, in fact on the drivers side quite a lot as the jets would initially hit the wind deflector. But would they then land on the windscreen or shoot over onto the roof?

It would be helpful if someone with OEM wiper arms and blades could check their setup, in particular:
1. What angle do the jets emerge compared to either the mounting plate or windscreen face?
2. Do the drivers side jets hit the deflector?
3. Do the jets land on the windscreen at low speeds and are they deflected higher at high speeds?
Old 20th July 2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Prompted by the descaling comments I dunked them into some fairly serious professional descaler I use, based on Phosphoric acid, minimally diluted and warm.
Resurrecting this thread somewhat after 2 years of hibernation...…
My S8 had been SORNed but I had to tax it to use it a couple of times and then realised that it's MOT is now due fairly soon too - the 6-month extension that isn't after all!
Checking it over the passenger side washer jet is pathetic and I don't want to give them any excuses to fail it.

In the end I dunked it for a couple of hours in NEAT descaler as used above and after that its' perfect.

Note for anyone who's thinking of doing the same, there's a fair bit of disassembly required to get the nozzle free enough to soak it:
1. Remove wiper blades and arms, remove cover panel over wiper motor.
2. Disconnect washer pipe and heated jet connectors under that cover near the motor.
3. Remove scuttle panel fixing bolts - one each end one in the centre - and lift off panel towards the front of the car. Note locating tongues on the body that fit into slots under the panel.
4. Rather than unclip all the wiring and piping to totally free the nozzle I just undid one cable tie to give some slack in the wiring and took the pipe off then pressed the catch and popped it out of the mounting slot. That freed it just enough to dangle it into a small vessel full of descaler, carefully balancing the panel so as not to knock it all over!

A quick test by connecting a spare length of pipe from near the washer motor directly to the descaled jet proved it was good. Reassembled and tested fine, didn't even need to realign the jets.

When I've got it through the MOT I'll return to the original challenge and try the alternative jets I have.

Last edited by HPsauce; 20th July 2020 at 05:15 PM.