A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 7th September 2018, 03:35 PM

Default Replacing shiny triangle behind rear window.

We all know the one, the shiny painted triangle that's part of the rear door and prone to "bubbling".

I have been told this can be replaced, so having just received a replacement upper door frame from our sponsors that isn't quite in the same condition (in that area) as mine (but not too bad) I thought I'd investigate what's involved.

I haven't done it yet but in principle:
1. It's doable, sort of.....
2. It's not as simple as you'd expect.

The basic problem is that the triangle is actually moulded into the rubber seal that runs right around the door frame.
And to get that off you need to free up the top edge or fully remove the door card! Documented elsewhere.
You might just manage by removing the wooden trim strip and undoing the screws beneath and at each end of the card.

After releasing the top (or whole) door card you pull off the interior trim piece corresponding to the triangle, it just pops off with the door card out of the way.
This exposes a Torx nut, T20 IIRC, just remove it and the triangle is no longer fixed.
You can then work the triangle and the whole rubber seal off the door frame. At least you can with the frame separate from the door...….

I propose to just swap mine over, but whether you could rub down and repaint it still embedded in the rubber seal I'm not sure. Maybe suitably masked and working carefully it's possible?
But if you're going to do that, it's probably almost as easy to just do it in situ on the car.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th September 2018 at 03:42 PM.