A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 24th October 2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Oh dear, it's packed up again today, just as the weather is getting cooler.
Bit weird though, I've had a flat battery and don't know the cause, so do wonder if there might be some "connection".
Intriguing, the cloud is thinning and I can definitely hear the fan slowly ticking over under solar power.

All working normally now; air belting out with ignition on and reverts to slow turnover on solar.

I wonder if the low battery voltage had somehow messed up the changeover relay and it was stuck in "solar" mode yesterday.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 24th October 2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 29th October 2018, 10:56 AM

As it's now "winter" I disabled the solar sunroof with the isolation switch after the previous post.
Been using the car a bit today, after sitting parked all weekend, and it's all fine again.

That 10p per litre off petrol at Tesco is handy - topped up with 60 litres of Momentum while out and about.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Intriguing, the cloud is thinning and I can definitely hear the fan slowly ticking over under solar power.

All working normally now; air belting out with ignition on and reverts to slow turnover on solar.

I wonder if the low battery voltage had somehow messed up the changeover relay and it was stuck in "solar" mode yesterday.
I’ve just bought a fan from a8parts. I went ahead and ordered the fan ‘blind’ as it was pretty obvious it was that. In the recent hot weather the fan was ticking quite loudly and got louder and louder - a sure sign of a worn down commutator.

It would suddenly start working when bumped over a pothole or some such but wouldn’t stay working for very long before getting stuck again. I too have the solar sunroof. I specifically asked for a fan from a non-solar sunroof car for obvious reasons.

Is yours ticking at all? (I only ask as you said ticking over - was that a metaphor lol? Or just spinning quietly?)
Old 3rd November 2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Is yours ticking at all? (I only ask as you said ticking over - was that a metaphor lol? Or just spinning quietly?)
It was indeed a metaphor but yes, sometimes, at lower light levels when barely moving you can hear a slight repetitive noise as if something is off-balance or there's some debris catching on the fan.
Given my other issues with seeds, debris, blocked scuttle drains, ill-fitting windscreen bottom trim etc. debris was my first suspect. Not least because fiddling with a wiring connector made a difference when it first happened.

But yes, if it does degenerate, replacing it is an obvious next step.
That said, it's not consistent and normally it's smooth and quiet, certainly when the ignition is on and it's getting full voltage.

Also the solar function is now disabled for the winter.
I think I documented that somewhere, but it's very easy to just tap into the return (earth) wire from the panel into the passenger footwell electrics panel.
I just looped that off to a convenient rocker switch, placed on the transmission tunnel side panel, and only visible/accessible with the glovebox open..

Last edited by HPsauce; 3rd November 2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 9th January 2019, 01:37 PM

The mystery continues. Last night it stopped again, for a while.
Car was cold and a bit damp having been unused since before Xmas. I only did a handful of short journeys at night over the evening, 1 to 3 miles each.

On one of those it was definitely not working at the start but after a mile or so it came back into life. On others I wasn't sure as they were quite short and I was on busy roads so not thinking about it.

Then this morning, still very cold but parked in the sun, I needed to go to the car so just decided to press the Rest button as a test. Fan started normally and quietly.
So I turned the ignition on (without starting the engine) and it was running smoothly, all the way up to maximum when I adjusted the speed.

I still think it's some sort of poor contact in the external wiring, affected by cold and damp, as the motor seems to run fine when it does run. Or could it be something wrong in the "hedgehog"?
Old 9th January 2019, 03:14 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

How easy is it to get to the motor terminals? If they're relatively accessible I think I'd probably attach a couple of wires to those (and maybe an LED or voltmeter) to be able to quickly verify if there's power getting to the motor the next time the fault occurs.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 9th January 2019, 03:33 PM

Good thinking, I'll investigate that when the weather improves.
Old 11th January 2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
HVAC: 01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2) 17-10 - Control Difference - Intermittent

So, I cleared that code and will check again after a few trips; it's all working fine at present though.

The Ross-Tech wiki suggests that could be fuses, wiring, the blower or controller. No **** Sherlock!
I decided to do a scan today after the recent oddness and this error has "at last" (well over a year) reappeared! Though the fan is actually working fine today.

I just can't think that it's the actual motor, if that was the problem it would have been getting worse and worse over the last year. And the fact that fiddling with wiring made it work after the initial problem.....
Old 11th January 2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I still think it's some sort of poor contact in the external wiring, affected by cold and damp, as the motor seems to run fine when it does run.
Have you considered trying some dielectric grease on the connectors, to see if that eases/eliminates the problem?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 11th January 2019, 06:51 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
I just can't think that it's the actual motor, if that was the problem it would have been getting worse and worse over the last year. And the fact that fiddling with wiring made it work after the initial problem.....
Agreed. You'd expect if it's something like worn brushes that the fault would get gradually more frequent. Although I suppose it could be caused by a broken internal motor connection that is making/breaking due to thermal expansion or vibration.

Looking at the circuit diagram (is this the right one?) ...
Click image for larger version

Name:	blower.PNG
Views:	210
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	20655

It looks like E87 is the HVAC control unit in the dash, and J126 is the 'hedgehog' (and V2 is the blower motor of course). Is that right?

Hedgehog (J126) on the left in this illustration (I assume):

J126 looks like a very simple motor speed controller, possibly as simple as a single power transistor because it appears to have no positive supply, which would be required if it contained anything more complicated. The circuit diagram implies that it merely controls the current between earth (43) and the motor's negative terminal (L9). Since it probably gets hot when dissipating power (as the large 'hedgehog' heatsink also suggests) and repeatedly cycles between hot and cold throughout its life, I would imagine there's a good chance it's prone to developing 'dry joints' internally.

The fault could also be on the motor's positive feed side of course, such as a simple bad connection somewhere.

I think I'd still be inclined to attach a couple of wires to the motor terminals (assuming they're not too difficult to get to) but, rather than connect an LED/multimeter between them, connect them instead to a supply and ground connection. In other words, an LED/meter between the motor's positive feed and ground and an LED/meter between the motor's negative feed and 12 volts. Depending on which one disappears when the fault occurs (or none if it's the motor), that should give a good indication as to where the fault lies.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust