A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 15th June 2018, 09:48 PM

Default Mind Boggling...

Married members will understand this better I think..when we moved into our house around 15 years ago my trusty 80’s hi-fi was banished to the basement. Aesthetically pleasing sound systems were installed, IMHO at the expense of sound quality. My extensive vinyl, tape and CD collection has been mostly neglected for all those years, unless I wanted to be Billy no mates in the basement. Recent extensive research has resulted in the purchase of a hi-fi rack which pleases SWMBO, so the hi-fi has been reinstated in the dining room. I worked most of my life in IT and was always comfortable with technological advance. However my mind has been truly boggled with the addition of a couple of Pure Jongo devices, a standalone speaker and a device to connect my hi-fi to my wi-fi. So not only is my old tech stuff now available, I have turned my ancient hi-fi into a cornucopia of modernity all controlled from my Android phone or tablet..bugger me as they say. Just need to work at a bit of cable management and I believe Bob will indeed be my mum’s brother

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 15th June 2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 16th June 2018, 07:41 AM

I'm just about managing to get away with having most of my hi-fi kit in the lounge - the Chromecast Audio adds so much functionality to my old school Arcam amp it's ridiculous for the money! Stream radio in much higher quality than FM for 1/10th the cost of a half decent tuner, plus yesterday I couldn't be bothered to dig out a particular CD I wanted to listen to, so I just streamed it off my HP Micro Server via the Chromecast using Plex (which is free)

I have a lovely tape deck sitting in its box, which hasn't been used for years, which I'd love to reinstate but just don't have space for. Similarly a minidisc player, which I only really use now to copy stuff I want to play in my '88 Citroen BX16V which has a minidisc head unit!

Will have to look at the Pure speakers, as need a similar solution for around the house - was tempted by the Apple speaker, but then my wife won't be able to use her phone to stream to it (not that she ever would unless I did it for her!)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 16th June 2018, 11:15 AM

I'm old school
Never not had or not used a turntable and have a large record collection which I have always added to and have always had a dedicated room to listen in.

Do use digital as use a PI and a IQaudio DAC connected to my valve amp to stream either NAS stored FLAC/MP3 or Spotify tunes.

Also use SONOS speaker system - have one in our bedroom and one doing TV duties (the SoundBase) which are excellent and easy to use.

My tape deck is in the rack but currently not playing right so either look to see what is amiss ( think it could be a capacitor or replace as have many hundreds of cassettes) and do like the analogue sound.

Still have many a late night session just listening to music with a nice drink, with the wife sat with me also.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)

Last edited by gninnam; 16th June 2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Forgot my SONOS kit ;)
Old 16th June 2018, 09:59 PM

From what I gather the Pure stuff is very similar technology to Sonos, but cheaper, the downside however is that the Jongo range is now EOL, however support is still currently available, I just did a software upgrade on my hi-fi to wi-fi device, the upside is there are some great bargains to be had on their kit..and as a canny Scot that appeals to me The technology is great IMHO, can stream stuff from any network based device or from Apps such as Spotify, it's even given me DAB radio on my 80's hi-fi and like Sonos gives multi room functionality and syncd Bluetooth as well

Old 16th June 2018, 10:06 PM

I've kept all my hifi very simple and pretty much standard 1970s.

The only addition is a Bluetooth receiver into one of the Aux inputs, and that only really supplements/replaces a lead with a mini-jack for iPad and iPhone input.

My amp has a second pair of speaker outputs that go via some long but chunky cables to quality speakers on top of my kitchen units, so that whatever is being played can also be heard there. As one of the Aux inputs is TV audio, it's often just the sound from the lounge TV! Amazing how many programs are almost as good without looking at the pictures (though we do have a hatch you can peer through to see the TV about 25 feet away!)

Our old TV had direct phono line outputs, the latest one doesn't, but a USB-powered TOSLINK to phono converter solved that for about £5.

Also, like Andy I have a tape deck issue, though not with cassettes, that deck is fine. It's the reel-to-reel Revox that is playing up. Like Andy I think it has capacitor (or maybe dry joint?) issues as one channel drops out after a period of use (never quickly, but never usually long enough to get through something significant).

And if I want non-Apple internet/computer-based stuff I can use a W10 PC (mainly for storing videos) that plays through the TV and that can then feed sound into the HiFi.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 16th June 2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 17th June 2018, 11:56 AM

Default Gramphone or gramofon?

I have a number of gramofon units (https://gramofon.com) plugged into the Aux input of my various "classic" hifi set ups around the house. This means I can get the best of of both worlds - still playing my old vinyl, cassettes, minidiscs (!), etc, but can easily play anything I want, anywhere, via spotify.

So my aged relative Robert is a frequent visitor in my house

PS: for any of the rooms in the house that doesn't have a "hifi", I have one of these brilliant little TDK units,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/37232...466&rmvSB=true

which are also both mains and battery powered, and waterproof, so great for trips out too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TDK bag of popcorn.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	19530  

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.

Last edited by tintin; 18th June 2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 17th June 2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
I have one of these brilliant little TDK units, which are also both mains and battery powered, and waterproof, so great for trips out too
I have something similar, though slightly smaller, which has a built-in re chargeable battery (charged via standard USB lead) and takes input via Bluetooth or mini-jack. Brand name is Lugulake!

It was sold as being for iPad/iPhone and incorporates a slot so that it can be used as a stand. Speakers are at each end pointing out so stereo effect is good and sound quality is pretty good too. Very handy unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lugulake.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	19531  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 17th June 2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post

Also, like Andy I have a tape deck issue, though not with cassettes, that deck is fine. It's the reel-to-reel Revox that is playing up. Like Andy I think it has capacitor (or maybe dry joint?) issues as one channel drops out after a period of use (never quickly, but never usually long enough to get through something significant).
Which Revox is it that you have?
The sound from a decent spec RR can be as good as a high end TT so worth getting fixed

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 17th June 2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
Which Revox is it that you have?
The sound from a decent spec RR can be as good as a high end TT so worth getting fixed
A77, I think it's known as the Mk3 version. Cost a small fortune when new, about a months salary IIRC!
Old 17th June 2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
I have a number of gramofon units (https://gramofon.com) plugged into the Aux input of my various "classic" hifi set ups around the house. This means I can get the best of of both worlds - still playing my old vinyl, cassettes, minidiscs (!), etc, but can easily play anything I want, anywhere, via spotify.

So my aged relative Robert is a frequent visitor in my house

PS: for any of the rooms in the house that doesn't have a "hifi", I have one of these brilliant little TDK units, which are also both mains and battery powered, and waterproof, so great for trips out too
Gramofon device seems to do the same as the Pure unit I have