A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 27th September 2017, 09:25 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardracer View Post
Hello folks,

I have a spare, unused HP dl160 4 processor blade server, 4 Xeon chips, 32gb memory. Is this any good for bit coin mining, given it is only 3" high and would be difficult to put multiple graphics cards in? As you can probably tell, I am a new by at this bitcoin stuff!

Any feedback welcomed.

Richardracer
You can mine with some Xeon CPUs, but you'll probably just about cover your electricity costs.

I sometimes run NiceHash as part of a stress test on any new/used servers that I get on my bench before I configure them for the customer. About 6 months ago I had a Gen8 HP ProLiant DL380p in my workshop, with twin Xeon E5-2670 CPUs (2.60GHz, 32 virtual cores, 128GB RAM). If I recall correctly, it managed about 80p per day, probably only slightly more than it cost to run. Still, it would've cost me the same to run while stress testing it using other methods, so for me it was still worthwhile. It wouldn't be worthwhile running a server like that purely for mining though.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 27th September 2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 29th September 2017, 11:22 AM

My L3 + has not shipped yet and its already past 6pm in China now. Unless it ships tomorrow I am in for even longer wait with the Chinese national holidays 1st-8th October and Bitmain offices shut.

I was also thinking about mining directly but it seems like at least sometimes it's more profitable to use Nicehash or similar service. Not sure if somebody just mines and hopes for value of mined coins to rise or maybe just laundering BTC from illicit sources and get freshly minted altcoins in place of dodgy BTC.

I have also found section on Nicehash that shows how the hashrate and how payouts were affected with the new Asics coming in operation.
https://www.nicehash.com/algorithm/scrypt

Edit: did not take screenshot big enough to show what each line represents but blue line is hashing power and green line payouts

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	17103   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	17104  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 29th September 2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 29th September 2017, 02:34 PM

Certainly a lot of new hashing power coming online there!

I'm planning to give Prohashing a try on one of the L3+ miners, so that I can do a direct comparison with the L3+ that is presently using NiceHash.
https://prohashing.com/

Unlike NiceHash, with Prohashing you're mining for yourself rather than selling hashing power and mining for someone else. Like NiceHash though, I believe it automatically selects the most profitable coin to mine and you can receive payments in BTC. You can also choose to be paid in other cryptocurrencies and you can even choose to divide the payments (eg 60% in LTC, 40% in BTC).

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 29th September 2017, 02:48 PM

Wow! X11 is Dash isn't it, so that's the first batch of D3s coming online? No wonder the payout has dropped so dramatically.
Old 29th September 2017, 03:14 PM

There's a few X11 coins but Dash is certainly the most popular right now.

I think, like the S9 and the L3+, profitability will end up settling in the 8-10 months ROI region. A high difficulty level will generally drive the prices up (and vice versa). If profitability gets too low, miners will either stop mining or stop selling. If the total hashing-rate drops because of a reduction in mining, difficulty will reduce. If miners stop selling, scarcity will drive the price up.

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 29th September 2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 29th September 2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Wow! X11 is Dash isn't it, so that's the first batch of D3s coming online? No wonder the payout has dropped so dramatically.
I am not sure if it is just D3s, like I wrote before there are several others going online around the same time
Quote:
There are several powerful X11 miners hitting the market Antminer D3 15 GH/s, Innosilicon A5 30GH/s, iBeLink has 2 coming out 11GH/s and 22GH/s, Pinidea 17GH/s

Quote:
I'm planning to give Prohashing a try on one of the L3+ miners, so that I can do a direct comparison with the L3+ that is presently using NiceHash.
https://prohashing.com/

Unlike NiceHash, with Prohashing you're mining for yourself rather than selling hashing power and mining for someone else. Like NiceHash though, I believe it automatically selects the most profitable coin to mine and you can receive payments in BTC. You can also choose to be paid in other cryptocurrencies and you can even choose to divide the payments (eg 60% in LTC, 40% in BTC).
If you look at the Scrypt graph in my previous post in the average payout it shows +27.49% more than ideal 100% luck. If I understand it right then by selling hash power through Nicehash you are getting 27.49% more than if you were mining directly with ideal 100?% luck.

8 history:
Old 29th September 2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
If I understand it right then by selling hash power through Nicehash you are getting 27.49% more than if you were mining directly with ideal 100?% luck.
That's how I understand it. So yeah, in theory NiceHash should be the more profitable. If you look at the expected payouts chart on Prohashing's site though, their automatic crypto switching produces more than mining LTC alone, but whether that's enough to compete with NiceHash remains to be seen. I suspect NiceHash will be the more profitable option, but I'm just curious to see how they compare.

Cars Owned:

Old 29th September 2017, 07:25 PM

When i put together my AMD rig I only did benchmarks for DaggerDecred on Nicehash miner as it was the most profitable thing at the time and it AMD cards were running it 99% of the time so I did not want to waste time benchmarking everything else and also in the testing phase with couple of cards it was crashing while benchmarking some of the algorithms. Yesterday on Nicehash statistics I noticed that AMD cards were spending considerable amount of mining Equihash, X11Ghost and CryptoNight. So I ran Benchmarks for them as well and Nicehash switched to Equihash with about 15% increase in income and 15% drop in power consumption. GTX's were also doing well about £6 per day on Equihash instead of regular £4.5 but are down again today. AMD keep switching between Dagger Decred and CryptoNight today, not much difference in income but CryptoNight have almost 30% less power consumption so sometimes it would be better to run CryptoNight instead of Dagger Decred even if it brings a little less as it also costs less to run. I wish there was extra options in Nicehash to enter your power usage and electricity cost so that it can make more informed decisions what to mine and even better yet if it had option to enter different prices for different time like for Economy 7 tariff during night or if you were running off solar power during day. I guess if you were running large scale you could monitor and make changes yourself or employ somebody else to do it for you but for couple of rigs it's not worth the effort for couple of quid per day.

8 history:
Old 29th September 2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I wish there was extra options in Nicehash to enter your power usage and electricity cost so that it can make more informed decisions what to mine and even better yet if it had option to enter different prices for different time like for Economy 7 tariff during night or if you were running off solar power during day. I guess if you were running large scale you could monitor and make changes yourself or employ somebody else to do it for you but for couple of rigs it's not worth the effort for couple of quid per day.
That would be a great feature. Perhaps you should suggest it. Their support guy is quite responsive/active on Bitcointalk.

Power consumption only really matters to me for rig design and power supply selection purposes though, especially as we're getting into the cooler months now and I can make use of the heat the rigs generate. In fact I'm hoping to find time to build a few more before we get into the cold winter months.

Cars Owned:

Old 30th September 2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
My L3 + has not shipped yet and its already past 6pm in China now. Unless it ships tomorrow I am in for even longer wait with the Chinese national holidays 1st-8th October and Bitmain offices shut.
It's shipped now. so hopefully will get it next week.

8 history: