A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 6th September 2016, 10:53 AM

Default is there a service indicator?

hi.
the last service was done at approx 101,000 miles.
the car has now done approx 115,000 miles.
reading the history, it seems that a service was done every 15k miles.
is there any way that the car indicates how long(how may miles) till next service? or will it one day ping that it needs a service?
thanks raj
Old 6th September 2016, 10:55 AM

Car could be set on variable or fixed service interval, but either way it should normally ping a reminder at 1000 miles before service then count down each time you start after that with miles left and then just say "Service Due" at 0 Miles when it is due/overdue

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 6th September 2016, 11:04 AM

thanks for the reply..
Old 6th September 2016, 11:39 AM

Won't it have a menu option on the MMI under 'car' for a readout of how long in time and miles till the next oil and inspection service are due?

Our S5 has that (although the dealer invariably resets it incorrectly, assuming we're on longlife when we're not!)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 6th September 2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Won't it have a menu option on the MMI under 'car' for a readout of how long in time and miles till the next oil and inspection service are due?

Our S5 has that (although the dealer invariably resets it incorrectly, assuming we're on longlife when we're not!)
My pre facelift D3 does not have that, only the countdown to next service from about 1K miles before its due.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 6th September 2016, 08:08 PM

Default Service Counts in boring detail ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Car could be set on variable or fixed service interval, but either way it should normally ping a reminder at 1000 miles before service then count down each time you start after that with miles left and then just say "Service Due" at 0 Miles when it is due/overdue
Just to add to whatever has been said by 'Architex_mA8tey' and others:

The A8 service interval for 'fixed' servicing is 10,000 miles, so if you've you've done over that and the '1000 mile' alert has not appeared on the DIS, then you're on Variable servicing - which is 'up to 19,000'. [These numbers are the default instument cluster values although you can 'mix em up' if you have VCDS, which can alter the values independently of a 'service reset'].

The D3 never had a mechanism to tell you how far to the next service, although VCDS will let you display the current 'counts' out of the cluster. All very well but it doesn't indicate what triggers the 'service in 1000 miles'.

Here's a [slightly edited] VCDS sample out of my cluster, taken between services; I'm set to variable [oil quality set to '2'] so the min mileage before service is 9000 miles [counter 42] and the max mileage is set to 19000 miles - value 43.

Channel Description Unit Current val.
02 Service Reminder Status ... 0
40 Mileage since Service miles x100 8
41 Time since Service Days 31
42 Min Mileage to Service miles x100 90
43 Max Mileage to Service miles x100 190
44 Max Time to Service Days 730
45 Oil Quality 2
47 Soot Quantity km x100 29
48 Thermal Load km x100 15
49 Min Time to Service Days 730

The cluster evaluates [to an unknown Audi formula] the 'Soot Quantity' and 'Thermal Load' values, and sets the 'Service reminder' value to '1' when it thinks the service is due. This causes the DIS to display the Service Reminder and use the service mileage fields to start the countdown.

Julian

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!
Old 7th September 2016, 09:35 AM

Default By the way; A8 VCDS SRI values incorrect ...

As an aside, guys, I forgot to ask if anyone uses the VCDS SRI [service reset] function to set/reset their A8 instrument cluster for fixed interval servicing.

From my investigations, even in the latest 16.8 files, the numbers in the VCDS label files used for resetting the cluster are incorrect for fixed service intervals for both kilometre and miles based cars.

The attached text file is an extract from the VCDS label file used for the cluster. The fields 42 & 43 are set to 50 for miles and 80 for kilometres; these set the service interval for 5000 miles and 8000 kilometres whereas it should be 100 and 160 for 10000 miles and 16000 kilometres.

Julian
Attached Files
File Type: txt SRI Resets.txt (290 Bytes, 275 views)

Old 11th September 2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianHicks View Post
As an aside, guys, I forgot to ask if anyone uses the VCDS SRI [service reset] function to set/reset their A8 instrument cluster for fixed interval servicing.

From my investigations, even in the latest 16.8 files, the numbers in the VCDS label files used for resetting the cluster are incorrect for fixed service intervals for both kilometre and miles based cars.

The attached text file is an extract from the VCDS label file used for the cluster. The fields 42 & 43 are set to 50 for miles and 80 for kilometres; these set the service interval for 5000 miles and 8000 kilometres whereas it should be 100 and 160 for 10000 miles and 16000 kilometres.

Julian
Hi Julian. I use VCDS to reset the cluster on a fixed 10k interval, and have found it fairly accurate the last time. The time before it didn't seem to play ball. Don't know why. Prior to that I changed the oil early and didn't get to find out.

Thanks for all the info above.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 11th September 2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
Hi Julian. I use VCDS to reset the cluster on a fixed 10k interval, and have found it fairly accurate the last time. The time before it didn't seem to play ball. Don't know why. Prior to that I changed the oil early and didn't get to find out.

Thanks for all the info above.
So, JohnMed, it would be interesting to see what your cluster says now, between services.

When you find time, use the VCDS SRI function to show the current values from the cluster; if VCDS did it properly, 42 and 43 should be 100, 44 & 49 should be 365.

Regards - Julian

Old 17th April 2018, 09:05 PM

Thread bump!

I’m having trouble getting rid of the service due reminder using VAGCOM. I pressed the SRI reset button and it seemed to cycle through and reset values but 2 starts later the reminder pops up again.

Do I need to go in and enter some values manually?

Car is a 2008 MY 4.2 tdi

Cheers!