A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 1st May 2017, 01:29 PM

Thanks Neil. Currently £121 there (plus delivery) and £129 at Halfords with a 5-year guarantee.
Best price (from a big-name supplier) I can find online (delivered) for Bosch is £120 for the S4 and £140 for the S5 (Silver, 5-yr guarantee).

PS Any thoughts from anyone about the relevance/value of AGM (Silver Advanced Glass Mat) type batteries for a car that is not used that regularly?
I've read that there are advantages in a lower self-discharge but equally that you need a different/cleverer charging system to avoid over-charging.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 1st May 2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 1st May 2017, 03:05 PM

I don't see any point in an AGM battery - if you need to use a different charge profile on an off-car battery charger to get them right, I doubt the difference in on-car charging via the voltage regulator and alternator aren't going to be significant too.

I got the Yuasa from Halfords with my trade card (find anyone with an automotive background or college kid to get access to one) HSB019 silver/5yr warranty for £100 incl VAT

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 1st May 2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I don't see any point in an AGM battery
Thanks Adrian.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st May 2017, 03:34 PM

If it wouldn't cost you more than the 20 quid price difference to come down here I'd offer you the use of mine and a hand fitting it

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 1st May 2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Thanks Neil. Currently £121 there (plus delivery) and £129 at Halfords with a 5-year guarantee.
Best price (from a big-name supplier) I can find online (delivered) for Bosch is £120 for the S4 and £140 for the S5 (Silver, 5-yr guarantee).

PS Any thoughts from anyone about the relevance/value of AGM (Silver Advanced Glass Mat) type batteries for a car that is not used that regularly?
I've read that there are advantages in a lower self-discharge but equally that you need a different/cleverer charging system to avoid over-charging.
Do you know anyone with a Halfords trade card?

Yuasa Silver is £100 inc VAT inc 5 year warranty or this Yuasa Black is £132 in vat with a lifetime warranty!

If you are anywhere near Manchester I'd be happy to help out

Edited to say, even if you are not nearby I can get one delivered from Halfords for trade price plus £2.99

Last edited by paulrstaylor; 1st May 2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 1st May 2017, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the offers everyone, but I've found a good supply at "trade" prices if I need to. (Bosch S5 013 for under £100 delivered )

After recharging the battery it started very quickly so I'll see how it behaves and monitor voltages over the next few days. No need to panic/rush into buying.

Edit: 12.75v this morning and then started fine; will see how it is after a trip planned for later.

Last edited by HPsauce; 2nd May 2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 5th May 2017, 09:05 PM

Hi,

To test a battery, fully charge and then put a 55w load across for 2 minutes. After this time battery should still read above 12.6v. If >12.4v but <12.6v fully discharge using 55w load and then charge fully and retest. If not above 12.6v, battery needs replacing. If battery is <12.2v forget it, as beyond recovery.

Also worth checking charging circuit on car, so with engine running voltage across battery should be >13.6v.

Hope that helps.
Mark.
Old 1st May 2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I think mine ought to be replaced (preventively).
Weird timing, I posted that a year ago (1st may 2017 to be precise) and just now my S8 almost didn't start. Just chugged over and burst into life.

Hadn't used it for a while and then only for very short journeys.
Ran it for a couple of minutes and it tested at 11.8V which using the attached chart suggests only just over 25% capacity.

Connected to the charger now (a rather dumb old one) and hopefully it will be OK when I use it this evening. I'll check the voltage regularly now.

Assuming it really is time to replace it, is that Yuasa YBX5019 that Neil recommended still current and favourite?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car-Battery-Voltage-Chart.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	18676  
Old 1st May 2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Assuming it really is time to replace it, is that Yuasa YBX5019 that Neil recommended still current and favourite?
That's the one I'm using after reading about it from others here. My car only gets occasional use and so far no problems with it.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 1st May 2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
Do you know anyone with a Halfords trade card?

Yuasa Silver is £100 inc VAT inc 5 year warranty or this Yuasa Black is £132 in vat with a lifetime warranty!

If you are anywhere near Manchester I'd be happy to help out

Edited to say, even if you are not nearby I can get one delivered from Halfords for trade price plus £2.99
I have the Yuasa silver battery and it's a decent lump in my S8. Five year guarantee. Heard horror stories about the newer Bosch batteries

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.

Tags
battery, failure, urgent