A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Generic car items

For Sale and Wanted - Generic car items For the personal sale of non Vw/Audi parts, tools, vouchers, accessories, anything that isn't an actual car. Absolutely no commercial listings or breaking / bulk / repeated sale of parts or services.

Old 19th July 2017, 08:37 AM

Default Land Rover winch

I have a really rare MK2 Land Rover winch and it’s complete with everything needed. Removed from my old series 3 landy. I haven’t seen another for sale complete, they normally turn up in bits.

Winch C/W wire rope
Hydraulic oil tank, fits up in rear wheel arch
All pipes from tank to pump / pump to winch
PTO pump (Dowty)
Engagement lever
Spool valve

Works well, has plenty of pull. Watching Ebay over the last few years has not really given me much to go on as they never turn up as a complete kit. There is a winch body on at the moment, it’s missing the dog clutch leaver and it’s £350.

I’ve owned it for many years now and I was keeping it knowing it’s only ever going to get rarer and more expensive.
Anyone have or have friends with classic Landy’s that want a genuine, uber rare bit of kit? I may swap for a classic tractor or something interesting failing that offers of pounds sterling and lots of them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winch.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	16558   Click image for larger version

Name:	winch expl.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	16559   Click image for larger version

Name:	winch explo 2.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	16560  

Bright yellow bus o love.

Last edited by Dezzy; 19th July 2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 19th July 2017, 04:55 PM

That will buy a LOT of curries!!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 19th July 2017, 05:27 PM

Hmmmm curry

Old 20th July 2017, 12:36 AM

Give Richard Hammond a call

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 1st October 2017, 12:37 PM

I recently bought one of these, complete but disassembled and including a capstan winch as well for £150. It is the even rarer mk1 hydraulic winch.

Only problem is that the dowty pump is fitted with the (unbelievably rare) adaptor casting for the early rangerover/stage 1/101 fc gearbox instead of the casting for the land rover series gearbox. Just need to turn up an adaptor on the lathe to enable it to fit the series box as I cant find one to fit the series box.

Mine is all fitted to the truck with the exception of the pump. Happy to discuss swapping your series pump for my ultra rare 101/stage 1/rangey pump if you like
Old 2nd October 2017, 09:38 AM

Ahh the LT95. I'm having trouble picturing a hydraulic capstan winch, i never seen one. The capstans i've had before have been mechanical from the bottom pulley. Can you take some photos please? My 101 had a Nokken winch on it.

Is the adapter you have to make, the Dog Clutch? The part that slides over the PTO output shaft? Part 42 in the second drawing? Do you need the selector as well that goes on top the gearbox? I think the selector is different for the LT95 box.

I’m not willing to split my kit up unfortunately as it’s the only one I’ve seen complete. You do have a rare part for the LT95 there but I don’t want it. I think it would shrink the market. As it stands anyone with a Series could fit it.

I’m in no rush to sell the kit, they’re only getting rarer and finding one complete is already a bit hens teeth. I’m asking a lot for it, and is one reason I still have it, however I know what I have and I’m not going to give it away like I did my Landy which went for about the price of the Overdrive that was bolted to it.

I might be able to help you find the bits you need but unfortunately it’s not cheap.

I think these are the bits you need?

650 euro's they want for those parts alone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bits.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	17116  

Last edited by Dezzy; 2nd October 2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:29 AM

Hehe, it was worth a try. Its a mk1 hydraulic winch I have got, the earlier model to the one you are advertising. It i essentially the same. When I bought it the seller threw in a fairy mechanical capstan as well.

The part you have pictured is the mechanical PTO. The bit that I have for the LT95 is the part with the two flanges, one for the back of the transfer box and one for the dowty pump. The series one is much shorter and canted over at an angle to clear the hand brake drum. The LT95 one is longer, straight and has a different shaft to suit so the dog clutch fall off the end of the shaft. The selector fork is slightly different but can be made to work by machining a new clevis slot. I will machine a shaft sleeve so that i can extend the length of the shaft to fit correctly but so that the assembly can be kept standard for the LT95 so as not to hurt the resale value/rarity factor. My winch was previously fitted to a 101 hence the LT95 adaptor.

I wont hi-jack your thread anymore. I was very very lucky to get mine complete and including a capstan. Its very unusual to find them complete nowadays (it was only the mk1 that was complete, the capstan is missing the engine side drive) so you should get top dollar. best of luck with your sale.

ps I should have pics of mine attached
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	winch1resize.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	17117   Click image for larger version

Name:	winch2resize.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	507.0 KB
ID:	17118   Click image for larger version

Name:	winch3resize.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	520.6 KB
ID:	17119  
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:19 PM

Oh don't worry about thread hijacks. It's great to see another.

I couldn't find a stock picture of the hydraulic pto.

You have done well to get those bits so cheap. You could try and find a bottom pto for the hydralic pump and then a rear pto for the capstan and mount it on the back. Does your winch still have it clutch leaver for free running the drum?

I've seen 1 drum winch with a warping drum on the end, awesome thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pto hyd.jpeg
Views:	891
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	17123  

Last edited by Dezzy; 2nd October 2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:31 PM

Actually looking at your pic there, it doesn't look like the adaptor casting is far different. Going by the parts manual it looked much shorter and canted off to and angle to clear the handbrake drum. Perhaps it is just the internal shaft that is different, or mine has possibly already been machined to alter it for the lt95. Looks factory though as I completely dis-assembled it to make up a drawing to manufacture a sleeve. I need the splined end about 1-1 1/2" closer to the gearbox. The end of the mainshaft doesn't reach the roller bearing in the PTO shaft and obviously the sleeve for the dog clutch just falls off the end. There is a shoulder behind the big bearing on the PTO just after the circlip slot that locates the inner side of the bearing. The diameter reduces at this shoulder. My plan is to make a sleeve fitting over this smaller diameter which the bearing can then run on, with a new circlip slot for location and probably a grub screw for rotational location although I might machine splines instead. theres not a huge amount of metal to play with though. This will let me move the whole assembly forward while still allowing me to return the pump back to lt95 spec.

Yeah I said the winch was complete, but you're right enough i am missing the freewheel lever. Something else i need to fab up or locate. I had forgotten about that. The freewheel dog actually rust in place when its not moved for while. I have thought about drilling and tapping to allow a grease nipple to be put in place.
Old 4th October 2017, 10:37 AM

So are you rubbing the tranny brake drum with your pump bolted up to the box?
It's has been so long since i had my winch on a Landy i'm a bit green tbh.

I have a drawing somewhere that shows the slot and hole positions in the seat base kick panel for the spool lever and pto engagement lever.

I did at one point play around with a 12v electric motor coupled up to the pump so i could keep an overdrive unit and run the winch. Also possible to get a bottom pto but i could never find one. I've seen one pump that had been mounted in the engine bay and was running off the fan belt.

If you run all the cable out from the drum there should be 2 grease nipples recessed in the drum, i can't remember how far the grease goes now but seem to remeber it getting to the freewheel dog. They don't see much grease normally because you have to pay out all the cable to get to the nipples. Also the leaver gets used for a handy place to hook the hook onto and then winched in to stop it falling off, but easy to go to far and snap the leaver or selector fork. Better to have a eyebolt through the bumper or 2, you can snatch back to the Landy then for extra pull.

Alwasy fancied running a saw bench from a rear belt pto.

Drum winch and warping drum
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drum and warp.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	17142  

Last edited by Dezzy; 4th October 2017 at 10:44 AM.