A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 8th May 2013, 03:10 PM

Default Strange (autofold?) mirror problem

Hi,

My 2001 2.8 QS has an issue with both side mirrors that I'm trying to rectify.
On my old C5 A6 with non folding mirrors if I pushed the mirrors it would take quite some effort to move them from their stationary extended position in order to fold them manually.

With my A8 they seem incredibly loose, if I push the mirror with one finger it will swing forward/backward easily which means I am often having to re-adjust the glass angle so I can see backwards properly. Do I have auto fold mirrors which are broken? or do I have manual mirrors that seem to have lost their 'click' to go into the stationary extended position?

for info, on my mirror glass angle adjust knob on drivers door I have a 6 oclock position that shows a folding mirror? but does nothing?

Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 03:19 PM

Open the window and just have a listen as you switch the knob to fold, see if you can hear a motor running.

Covers are not hard to remove, though i have never done it.

Mine don't work either and only the passenger side is a bit flappy but not enough to have to change the mirror angle so i've left it.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 8th May 2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_pamphilon View Post
I push the mirror with one finger it will swing forward/backward easily
Do you mean pushing the whole unit or just the glass within the housing?

If it's the whole unit waving around chances are the motor/cogs that fold/unfold it are severely worn. I don't think it's realistic to replace that component on its own.

I replaced the N/S mirror on my old PF a while back (thread on here somewhere with pics) as the folding mechanism was slow or jammed.
If it's loose/worn the only option will probably be to replace the whole unit.
Not sure how different that is on FL vs PF but it does require getting the door card off (or mostly off) to access fixings and connectors.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th May 2013, 08:09 AM

Its the actual mirror housing/case im talking about. The glass itself behaves as it should and the alignment motors for moving the glass inside the housing works fine.
The problem is I align the glass and then whilst parked the mirror housings are very easily knocked by people brushing past etc. there seems to be no 'home' position for the mirrors housings when I re-extend them if they have been pushed into folded position.

It sounds like I should have folding mirrors but there is no sign of them working. I will give them a listen at lunch time. I take it they should fold as soon as I put them mirror selector switch to 6 oclock no matter if im driving or parked up so long as ignition is on?
Old 9th May 2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_pamphilon View Post
I take it they should fold as soon as I put them mirror selector switch to 6 oclock no matter if im driving or parked up so long as ignition is on?
Correct.
Do it with the window down and engine off but ignition on and listen carefully.
Also give it a little "encouragement" with gentle finger pressure to see if that unjams the mechanism and lets the motor get going.

But, to be honest, if they are not fairly firm the drive mechanism is probably broken. It's pretty much sealed though you can get lubricant into it (which actually sorted mine out) with a lot of work - has to come off and be turned upside down.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 10th May 2013, 01:59 PM

I tried the engine off, ignition on, window open test yesterday and I can hear absolutely nothing at all. No movement even when I give them a wee push.

As mentioned previously, zero problems with glass movement, actual mirror housing though is very loose with no sound or movement when using mirror switch to 6 oclock.

How expensive is 2x new housing/folding gear?
Old 10th May 2013, 02:07 PM

A8parts have an offside one for £60, but as its from an S8 may have all the memory functions too - not sure if you need that so maybe somewhat less.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A8-D2...-/190832623781
They also have a non-electric-folding one for £40 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A8-D2...-/190802546112

I'd take the cover off (dead easy) and have a look at your mechanism to see what type it is. (the motor is very obvious)

Have a look at the start of this thread, steps 1 to 3 in post #2 explain how to get the cover off: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5047

Last edited by HPsauce; 10th May 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11th May 2013, 03:44 PM

Unhappy Mirror problem - folding the opposite way?

Hello. Sorry to hijack this thread but it seemed the most appropriate place after a search to no avail.

My car came back from the painters yesterday and when I parked up, I folded the mirrors in. I only do it when I think there's a chance the car could get clipped when in a narrow street.

Returned back to the car, and turned the switch back to the central position. Both wing mirrors went back to their normal position and then some... it ended up with both mirrors pointed forward - between 10 to 2 and 5 to 1 on a clock face? I can only assume that Mr Bodyshop has forced them without using the switch.

Is there any way I can rectify this? I'm thinking it might require unplugging one or two of the many fuses or possibly a full battery disconnect for 30 mins. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,
John G
Old 11th May 2013, 04:09 PM

While I don't know "for sure" what stops the mirrors at either end of the travel I "think" it's just a physical stop.
I base that on my experience of "gunged" up mechanisms that I lubricated. And what I saw when taking one off with the intention of replacing it, though actually just lubricating it.

Based on all that, including operating the mirrors off the car with a simple 2-wire 12v supply I think moving the switch merely sends a voltage of the correct polarity for a fixed time (about 10 seconds) to the fold/unfold motor.
When it hits the physical stop it just stops the motor until the power cuts.

When my mirrors were "gunged up" they would only partly fold or unfold, but twiddling the knob quickly into reverse then back made it move a further sluggish step, supporting the "timer" hypothesis.

On that basis I'd say the end stops have been broken off and you'll need new mirrors. But others may know better.
Old 13th May 2013, 09:25 PM

Default Wet and windy

I'll give the battery disconnect a go tomorrow and see how it goes. If I'm brave, I might try to dismantle the passenger side mechanism.

Thanks for the suggestions.

John G