A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Fuel and Exhausts

D3 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 13th April 2016, 03:17 PM

Default Custom exhaust and mapping

Just been to powerflow near me to chat about a custom exhuast and map, I want the V sound, I want it to growl when you boot it and bark when you rev it but i do not want the drone at 70, 80, 140... whatever cruising speed.
Very pleased to find out the guy has an 08 w12 himself so feel in good hands! He says possible 75bhp gains but will have to see, i didnt think you could get that much from an NA engine.
Be cool though!!
Old 13th April 2016, 03:30 PM

I would be very surprised if you got gains like that.

Be nice if you got a before and after dyno run from them to prove it.

If he does indeed get that out I would pay for an increase like that.

Old 13th April 2016, 04:53 PM

75bhp seems very optimistic from an n/a engine.

I'd still vote to remove the centre silencers and tie the butterfly flaps open! I'll upload a vid soon

You won't hear much drone at all because of the sound proofing and twin-pane glass etc.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 13th April 2016, 06:24 PM

you'll be lucky to get 15bhp from an exhaust change on a n/a engine. more important is the sound, however
Old 13th April 2016, 07:32 PM

You just spoiled the whole fun guys for Rick
I guess if a another map uploaded with full exhaust made up, filters 75 may be possible. AMD in essex provide similar service, similar gains mentioned
Guys lets remember lambo runs 500 standard from stable
Lets be optimistic
Old 13th April 2016, 08:15 PM

Haha no hadn't spoilt my fun.
I was going to go with a quantum map, says around 25bhp increase which i thought was good given that its a NA engine.
Its a plug and play jobby, no rolling road setup.
I have one on my 2.2ST tdci work car and its a very good company, improved everything!

Now this other chap at powerflow i think its a live road setup but not 100% on that yet.
At the mo we are just going with afrint and centre section with one pair of cats removed. More V sound.
If i then decide its still not enough he will do another section.
I want to keep the standard look of the end pipes. Not interested in making it obvious looks wise.

Yes I agree with you all and I would be completely suprised by a 75bhp increase with just a custom map. But he has obviously played with his w12 which i believe is about the same bhp as standard around the 450 mark. I would be over the moon but so long as the engine is not working to capacity. I still want it reliable!
Anyway its all booked for the 25th of this month so will see what we see!
Old 13th April 2016, 08:36 PM

Well here's just a quick start up video. I notice that my jubilee clip mod to hold the butterfly valve open on the nearest side has failed , the clip has slipped off lol so this sound is with the flaps operating as normal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLTTfe4mCk8
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 13th April 2016, 10:23 PM

Sweet. Mine gives a decent bark on startup as i have also done that mod on the flaps. I just want it louder!
Its a big engine, i want big noise like it should be!
Old 14th April 2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Haha no hadn't spoilt my fun.
I was going to go with a quantum map, says around 25bhp increase which i thought was good given that its a NA engine.
Its a plug and play jobby, no rolling road setup.
I have one on my 2.2ST tdci work car and its a very good company, improved everything!

Now this other chap at powerflow i think its a live road setup but not 100% on that yet.
At the mo we are just going with afrint and centre section with one pair of cats removed. More V sound.
If i then decide its still not enough he will do another section.
I want to keep the standard look of the end pipes. Not interested in making it obvious looks wise.

Yes I agree with you all and I would be completely suprised by a 75bhp increase with just a custom map. But he has obviously played with his w12 which i believe is about the same bhp as standard around the 450 mark. I would be over the moon but so long as the engine is not working to capacity. I still want it reliable!
Anyway its all booked for the 25th of this month so will see what we see!
25bhp gain would be reasonable, 75bhp... Maybe with the wind behind it and all of the cats removed it might be possible, but that's not far off a 20% power gain which is almost unheard of from a N/A car without uprated cams etc.

Maybe he's writing the file himself, maybe he's getting it written for him (not uncommon and by no means a bad thing depending on who's doing it), however if he's a Powerflow dealer, Powerflow are owned by Top Gear, who also do engine tuning and I know you can buy kits from them to start remapping. Checking their website they quote 25bhp for the S8 D3, not 75bhp.

http://www.topgear-tuning.com/index....di-power-gains

It would be worth double checking if he's writing the map himself or if it's coming in from someone. Like I said that's no bad thing necessarily if it is being done by someone else, but just make sure you're clear on power figures first.

I do remapping myself (have done for the last 5 years) and am quite used to people ringing up and saying they've been promised XYZ output from their car from another tuner, can we beat it. And upon checking to see if the info they were given was correct, a good 50% of the time it isn't.
Old 16th April 2016, 07:05 PM

Had the car up on a ramp today so was able to take a pic of where the center silencers were if anybody should be interested...

- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 16th April 2016 at 07:08 PM.