A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 12th March 2012, 08:51 AM

Default Bumper Foglight Grills

Can someone tell me if the pre-facelift bumper grills (around the foglights) are the same on an 1996 A8 as a FL 2002 S8?

Much appreciated - i seem to have mislaid one of mine on the M74/M6 / M40/A34 - so i didnt go back to look for it.
Old 12th March 2012, 09:13 AM

I'll have a look on etka later when I get home unless someone answers before

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 12th March 2012, 09:28 AM

If you just mean the plug-in grille section then surely PF that's just a single-piece ventilation grille and post-facelift it's a foglight mounting....

Or am I missing something in the question?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th March 2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
If you just mean the plug-in grille section then surely PF that's just a single-piece ventilation grille and post-facelift it's a foglight mounting....

Or am I missing something in the question?
I think you have probably answered the question - if I understand correctly, the PF were just a grill with no foglight and post FL it incorporated a hole for the foglight? is that correct?
Old 12th March 2012, 10:36 AM

The PF foglights are inside the headlight cluster.

The side grilles in the lower bumper are just single plastic mouldings that pop out - I should know I've caught the bumper on low kerbs more than once and had to put them back.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th March 2012, 11:28 AM
Director at A8 Parts

Pre Facelift cars had lower bumper grills but no foglights as you say -foglights were built into the headlight unit.
Early Facelift cars had two piece fog light grills - a rectangular grill and a triangular piece that fitted around the fog lamp itself
Later facelift cars (2001>) had a one piece grill and foglight surround

None of them are interchangable either...

Hope that helps!

2001 TT 8N 1.8T Quattro with a loud exhaust!
2000 A8 D2 3.7Q Non Sport Ming Blue
1999 A8 D2 4.2Q Non Sport Santorin Blue
2002 A6 C5 Allroad 2.5 TDi Silver with Black Leather
2001 A2 1.4 TDi
2006 A6 C6 2.4 Quattro Avant Canyon Red

At Work to Drive:

1997 S8 Pearl White Solar Roof, Electric Heated Rear Seats, Blinds, Bose, Cruise, Headlamp Wash, Ski Hatch
1998 Audi Cabriolet 2.6, Air Con, Electric Roof, Leather, Hard Top, Headlight Wash
2008 Fiesta Sportvan x2
2002 Transit 2.4 LWB
2007 VW Crafter Recovery Truck
2013 VW Caddy Highline, DAB, Heated Seats, Touch Screen Stereo, Headlamp Wash and Webasto with Telestart
2010 RS6 Daytona Grey, Twin Pane, Sunroof, Adaptive Cruise, Soft Close and some extra horses.

At Work to Hire:

4x 6 Berth Sunlight Motorhomes
Old 12th March 2012, 11:43 AM

The parts you want for a 2002 S8 are:

4d0 853 684 K - right (drivers IIRC) side
4d0 853 683 K - left side

They're 40 quid + VAT, or thereabouts new.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 12th March 2012, 01:44 PM

Many thanks to all - its quite clear now. Great info. The opportunity I thought I saw to get a replacement from the guy breaking his PF A8 up in Linlithgow just near me has evaporated
Old 23rd March 2012, 07:55 PM

To keep my 2001 fog light grilles in place, someone has added two small drywall screws along the top edge to both. (This will not allow them to fall out, even if they pop out of the mounts.)

But, with the screws there, they don't pop out, even if the lower front cover flexes when it scrapes the ground.

It's a nice mod, I was going to zip tie them in place, but the screws seem to work good, and were already there. They are gold zinc plated, so have not corroded much either.
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the tip. I was going to use tie wraps but there is not much to secure to. That is, when I get a replacement grill!