A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Fuel and Exhausts

D3 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 23rd December 2013, 06:23 AM

Default 3.7 D3 exhaust flexi joint

I bought my D3 knowing that the exhaust had a slight leak.

On Saturday, I paid a visit to the local workshop I have been using for years. They put the car up on ramps, and I was finally able to get underneath the newly purchased D3.

The part with the hole in it, is the nearside flexi joint. The outer mesh is undamaged, so the hole is internal, and from what I could see the flexi is post cat and lambda probes.

Now all I need to do is source a replacement flexi repair part, have the old factory one cut out and new inserted. I'll proberbly end up with a clamped in solution, rather than welded as that will save a lot on labour as it can be done in situ.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 23rd December 2013, 06:38 AM

Hi Manny - great you're getting the new 8 in tip top shape

How are you finding it a few weeks in vs the D2?

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 23rd December 2013, 07:36 AM

Oli,

its very different to the D2, the whole car feels more refined. Done 700 miles in it already, apart from the small niggles its a great car. I paid below what you would expect for a car with the level of extras it has, partly because the dealer did not know what they had and also negotiating the price down because of the niggles.

Although the car makes a lovely sound because of the exhaust hole, I can't wait to get it fixed and waft along quietly like the D2.

I really need to get the tyres replaced, but they will have to wait until the cambelt has been done with the tensioners etc. My local indy is changing the belt / tensioners / thermostat and aux belt for less than £800 using genuine Audi parts, whereas Poole Audi wanted £1399 for the same.

The car will be going to Poole Audi in the new year, since it missed a service bulletin for coilpack replacement.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 23rd December 2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
The car will be going to Poole Audi in the new year, since it missed a service bulletin for coilpack replacement.
Manny, sorry to hijack your thread, but how did you know about the coilpack replacement? Reason for asking is that I have an '01 3.7 QS and got a gas conversion done at the start of November. About a fortnight ago it stopped running on gas. When I got it checked out, they found a fault with one of the coil packs, and the gas automatically cuts out. Got it sorted, but just wondering if mine would be eligible.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:16 AM

Phone Audi customer services with the VIN number, but there were an awful lot of different models affected.

I know.. I know..

Old 23rd December 2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Phone Audi customer services with the VIN number, but there were an awful lot of different models affected.
Yep, I contacted Poole Audi and asked them if it had missed any recalls or service bulletins. They got back to me the next day, and advised I book it in. If the current coilpacks are the older type they will be replaced free of charge.
Old 21st January 2014, 01:05 PM

Coming back to the flexi joint, mechanic has been looking at this today for me. He got a quote from TPS to replace, but they will only supply the whole section (downpipe, cat and flexi) which is coming in at more than £700 each. Found out today that both are leaking, although the OS one is not bad.

He measured the exhaust and tried a few local motor factors but none to hand in stock. So as for the suspension compressor, I'll source the replacement joints and they will have them welded into the exhaust.
Old 26th January 2014, 08:45 AM

Quick question, I know the exhaust diameter is 60mm in the area of the flexi joints. However I don't know how long to get them as they are available in various lengths. From what I recall standing under my car, they are not that long. Anybody in a position to measure theirs or have measured in the past?

Also Welded or clamped?, both joints are needing replacement.
Old 26th January 2014, 07:08 PM

Hello

Do you still need these flexi joints????

I've had my done recently, 2x £150 + £100 fitting by AMD, custom made to measure much stronger performance quality.

Let me know

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 27th January 2014, 06:27 AM

Joints are indeed still needed,

I assume that is AMD in essex?

£450 fitted seems like a good deal for both sides.

I was in Hertfordshire at the weekend, so familiar with the area around Thurrock, Aveley etc.

Last edited by mannyo; 27th January 2014 at 09:39 AM.