A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 27th March 2012, 07:44 PM

Default I feel violated!! My hotmail account appears to have been hacked!

Apologies to anyone on here I've ever emailed directly who may have been spammed by my hotmail address this pm!

Seems to have sent different spam links to every contact in my address book

What I have no idea about is how they've got in to it in the first place....

Any of you it wallas on here able to suggest how they manage it and what else might be compromised? Rather worried what else might be at risk....

This is the closest I can imagine feeling to having been burgled, not that it's any comparison

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 27th March 2012, 08:12 PM

Unlikely your account has been hacked Adrian, more than likely you got an innocent looking e-mail that contained some sort of Malware/Trojan which then sent an e-mail to all your contacts, happens a lot. Probably best run some decent malware killer over your machine just to make sure, Malwarebytes is pretty good and free, if you do get problems with your machine they also have a forum where they offer very good help and will "talk" you through what steps you should take if infected.

cheers

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 27th March 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 28th March 2012, 06:10 AM

Sorry Adrian i know nothing about spamming or how it works, but just to make you feel a little better about 7 years ago i was in contact with a South African guy about a possible business deal, i recently found him on Linkedin and sent a message this was his reply

sure. I remember.

Finance was always an issue. ********* actually tanked after i was shot in the head at point blank range during a home invasion. i was hospitalised and had my obliterated jaw rebuilt during 5 surgeries over 8 months. i couldn't work until 18 months later but unfortunately my investors had pulled all my funds by then.

i'm still kinda ****ed off about that!

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 28th March 2012, 07:41 AM

Nope, that doesn't make me feel any better.....

Have run Malwarebytes on my laptop and desktop with nothing significant coming up. Run avg normally so will set that running as well, although it does a full scan every week anyway

Only other way I access it is my phone....

I guess they may have retrieved my password at some other time so doubt they're using my pc's to send it. An ip address in a failed message suggests Serbia as a location.

So far changing my password has stopped it but ive lost all my sent email

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 28th March 2012, 12:35 PM

Gmail for the win! .
1993 Audi S4 2.2 TQ MTM 330 (my first love!)
Old 28th March 2012, 01:50 PM

i agree with Briang9, its doubtful they hacked your hotmail, there are so many malware programs out there, its happened to me many times, do a search for the content of the mail that was sent and it may give you clues on what it is and how to get rid, if your scanner found nothing it will probably start up again at some point
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 28th March 2012, 09:50 PM

You using AVG? Is it the "proper" AVG, or the clone called "AVG Antivirus 2011/2012"?

AVG antivirus is a malware programme.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/malware/s...ftware-avg-150

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels

Last edited by jayzee; 28th March 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 30th March 2012, 12:42 PM

I'm having same issue except my passwords been changed not by me though so can't access the account

2002 D2 S8 Misano Red
1996 Volvo 850R Estate Red
2013 Mercedes C63 AMG (taxi)
1991 Lotus Carlton Imperial Green
Old 30th March 2012, 03:59 PM

So long as you registered a pc as your main one at some point there's a method to regain access to your account - should be fairly obvious when you try to log in

Edit: details here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/h...ed-account-faq

Last edited by Adrian E; 30th March 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 1st April 2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
So long as you registered a pc as your main one at some point there's a method to regain access to your account - should be fairly obvious when you try to log in

Edit: details here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/h...ed-account-faq
Cheers for that but I'm not having much luck because I've used my iPhone for email last few years I've forgotten the password as I've never needed it.The answer to my security question has been changed too so failing the proof of ownership of account checks at mo,have to keep trying I guess

2002 D2 S8 Misano Red
1996 Volvo 850R Estate Red
2013 Mercedes C63 AMG (taxi)
1991 Lotus Carlton Imperial Green