A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 26th January 2016, 11:05 AM

I'd say why not? It's pretty standard powered GPS aerial. Connected directly to the back of the RNS via along cable.

On my old (PF) S8 the aerial failed fairly early in my ownership, long before A8parts existed or at least before I was aware of them.

I acquired a fairly standard "hockey-puck" powered GPS aerial and fixed it externally at the base of the rear window, directly in front of the standard boot-lid location.
I ran the cable along the boot-edge trim then up the boot struts into the space behind the liner. There I spliced it into the existing wiring with some adapters and soldering - disconnecting the OEM aerial in such a way that I could reinstate it if I ever found a cheap working replacement (Audi wanted well over £200 )
It ran perfectly for years.

So if your unit uses a standard powered aerial it will just be a matter of disconnecting the lead at the back of the RNS and connecting (via extensions/adapters as required) to your unit.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 26th January 2016, 11:17 AM

The Nextbase 402g only has an in built GPS and no external port. I find the 402g locks on to satellites pretty quick and even works inside the house. The 402g is re-badged DOD LS430W. DOD also sell the LS360W which has an external GPS port.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 26th January 2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
The Nextbase 402g only has an in built GPS and no external port. I find the 402g locks on to satellites pretty quick and even works inside the house. The 402g is re-badged DOD LS430W. DOD also sell the LS360W which has an external GPS port.
I appreciate that there's no external port but was thinking of whether the signal could be reradiated by, for instance, just running a coax from the GPS feed cable near to the dashcam with a few inches of bare wire at the end (a leaky feeder arrangement). or would this degrade the signal to the car satnav?

Last edited by David's8; 26th January 2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 26th January 2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
I appreciate that there's external port but was thinking of whether the signal could be reradiated by, for instance, just running a coax from the GPS feed cable near to the dashcam with a few inches of bare wire at the end (a leaky feeder arrangement). or would this degrade the signal to the car satnav?
It may work. The GPS is within the top bracket.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	12376  

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 26th January 2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
It may work. The GPS is within the top bracket.

Interesting picture - thanks for that. As I will have the Satnav/climate unit out in tthe next few days for the solar roof fit, I'll look at the satnav feed issue and see if anything can be done.
Old 27th January 2016, 10:19 AM

I used to use a GPS repeater in my '99. That had an external antenna to pick up the signal, a box of tricks inside the car, and then an internal antenna to re-broadcast the signal to gadgets. Don't know if they're still available though.
Old 27th January 2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I used to use a GPS repeater in my '99. That had an external antenna to pick up the signal, a box of tricks inside the car, and then an internal antenna to re-broadcast the signal to gadgets. Don't know if they're still available though.
Thats exactly what I need but didnt think that one would exist. I'll look right now!
Old 27th January 2016, 10:42 AM

I think they're generally not available as they are illegal broadcasting devices.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 27th January 2016, 10:44 AM

There are repeaters available in UK but they are for indoor use only and, indeed, the OFCOM licencing regulations allows for their use only in "defined, fixed locations only (mobile use will not be authorised". So, if you try to buy one legally the seller will probably require view of the licence. Besides the kit is too large and cumbersome for vehicle use. i'll look at splitters and a jury rig aerial.
Old 27th January 2016, 10:57 AM

Not sure what you're thinking of David, but satellite receivers are a 2-part active unit with one part in the aerial and another (most) in the main unit with a tuned direct connection between them.
TV satellite receivers are somewhat different to GPS (the aerial unit called an LNB can switch channels on command from the main unit) but I really see no way that you could break into and share the signals between those 2 parts of the system.

Similarly (well a bit), you can't have two modems on one end of a broadband (or dial-up) data connection.

Last edited by HPsauce; 27th January 2016 at 11:00 AM.