A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 23rd September 2017, 10:11 PM

Wow again!

To me, that's like having a new engine.
The type that you want to show off by opening the bonnet at a car show.
When you see this much effort being lavished upon the engine, suspension and brakes it makes you wonder what else should be done to the rest of the car to bring it up to the same standard.

I love the time-lapse videos by the way.
If you do anymore, can you add some Benny Hill music to them just to add an extra dimension

And sorry Tony. I don't think I want to pass her on to a new (or previous) owner at this moment in time. But you'll be the first to know if I change my mind

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Last edited by Spanker; 23rd September 2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: .
Old 24th September 2017, 11:41 AM

If this forum had a like button it would have been worn out on this thread!

Who needs Wheeler Dealers!

Hats off to Dean and MJ
Old 24th September 2017, 12:26 PM

Attached is the longer vid for the cam tensioner pad swap (down at the bottom of the post).

The first thing you'll probably notice is that I've got the cam locking bar in. The crank is also still locked. The reason for this is that if you do one bank at a time and don't remove the exhaust cam you never lose the timing. The official Audi procedure is to remove both cams which seems a bit excessive. Also, if you do it like this you don't actually have to remove the timing belt if you're doing the job in the car.

I'm doing all the oil seals here so I'm also taking the cam cap off the exhaust cam, but if you're just doing the pads you don't need to touch that seal.

Probably the single most important 'top tip' for this job is how to get the cam cap bolts loose. They're only done up to 10Nm on the V6 or 5Nm + 90° on the V8, but breaking them loose requires a substantial amount of torque - more than the average T30 tool can handle. The trick is to put the T30 tool in the bolt head (after cleaning out any crud or oil) and give it a sharp tap with a hammer. This breaks the stiction between the bolt and the threads, and it will then come out without breaking anything. It'll still go with a crack when it breaks loose, but at least it won't snap the tool! Buy the best T30 tool you can - Facom, Snapon, etc, and ideally have a sacrificial one for the hammer bit. Ideally have a couple of spares too!

The manual says replace the bolts on the V8, since they're torque + degrees, but I have measured used ones against new ones and they are identical so I've stopped replacing them, saving £100-odd on the job! The V6 bolts are just done to standard M6 torque so no need to replace them.

You can briefly see me marking the cam chain with nail polish - there's a TDC notch on each cam so I mark the chain exactly above that notch before I remove the cam. You can see me lift the intake cam and wiggle the tensioner out, then put the cam back in place. At no point do I remove the cam from the chain, therefore making sure I don't lose timing. You need to remove both the cam caps next to the chain to do this (ie intake and exhaust) in order for the tensioner to come out this way.

I let the new pads sit in a cup of hot water before fitting them. That makes them a little more flexible and they just pop on the tensioner without any fuss. You do need to remove the tensioner compressing tool to get the top pad on. Just hold the tensioner carefully while you do this and make sure the two pistons don't fall out and it'll be fine.

There is a little gauze filter in the bottom of the tensioner where it gets its oil feed from the head. Be careful not to damage this or let it drop out.

Tensioner pads are on ebay here btw, including the tensioner holding tool which is very useful. I have a drawer full of them now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tensioner.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	17082   Click image for larger version

Name:	gauze.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	17083  
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 h10ean_cam_pads075.mp4 (54.98 MB, 437 views)

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 24th September 2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 24th September 2017, 12:51 PM

Dean, I hope that you get all the photos (courtesy of MJ, of course) and make a picture book of this refurb.(I refrained from calling it a scrap book )
Old 24th September 2017, 01:13 PM

I can burn all the originals to DVD to go with the big pile of invoices
Old 24th September 2017, 01:41 PM

I took the steering rack out this morning, before cleaning the engine bay. Turns out it is servotronic which explains the light steering I thought it was the first time I drove it, but couldn't see it on the build sheet so concluded the mayo in the system had done something odd. Obviously it was behaving as it should all along so instead of replacing it I took all the pipework off and thoroughly flushed it with new fluid until it stopped coming out creamy.

Cleaned and re-greased the rack, as the boot had split on this end so the grease was a bit nasty

New boots, clips and tie rods ready to go back together

Proper boot clips crimped with the proper tool. No cable ties here!

New rod end on

Ready to go back on the car

Old 24th September 2017, 01:48 PM

Its a 'orrible mess in here 🤢 I can't put this off any longer though so cleaning this up this afternoon...

Old 24th September 2017, 03:05 PM

Thumbs up Quality

Most of us just get in our A8s or S8s, turn the key in the ignition, start the car and drive off. These videos just go to show how much work is involved with that lump under the bonnet. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading (and watching) this thread and I'd love for my own car to be looked after in such a thorough fashion. Unfortunately, I don't live in Devon. Would love to have the opportunity of a visit to the workshop at some point when funds allow.

Thanks for keeping us all posted, MJ.
Old 24th September 2017, 03:13 PM

Definitely the best thread on here in ages

I wonder how many PM's MJ has had asking for similar for other forum members 8's?

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 24th September 2017, 04:01 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I just hope the car, Dean and MJ will be t the meet next June so we can all fall to our knees and worship the goddess of '8s and her work!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).