A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 4th March 2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat
Actually what i’d like is to be able to switch certain functions on or off.

Auto dimming mirrors off every now and then. Sometimes it is nice to see the vehicles that are behind you on the Motorway with a bit more clarity. (Police for example!!).
How could I forget this? The first 8 I had took a while to get used to. I had no idea it was even a feature! I Googled it and all became clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat
BMW has an electronic dip stick though which is a royal pain in the ass!!!!
I had no idea this existed until my neighbour was topping his up on his 1 series the other week. Surely it saves you from getting your hands dirtier though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E
On a D2 I would’ve liked auto lights and wipers as standard - both were fitted to our ‘99 Citroen Xsara and worked well enough. Features on our current cars that are totally taken for granted
Couldn't agree more. I remember when my Dad bought his Peugeot 306 GTI6 brand new in 98 I thought it was witchcraft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed
5. Rear seats that fold down. Just occasionally I’d really like to be able to fit longer stuff in the car.
6. PDC that operates when driving forward, without having to be manually switched on. A la Mercedes.
#5 I would have loved on a few occasions. #6 I agree also....but I forgot that I actually hate having to switch the PDC's off after finishing reversing. The second I put it in park it should happen automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne
Some decent in-car entertainment would have been nice, but that's where the D2's age really shows now. They missed RNS-E by a year

Also, <enginerd mode> coil-over-damper rear suspension like all other quattro cars.</enginerd mode> The separate spring and damper is really annoying and makes adjustable suspension or retrofitting anything interesting (like D3 or Allroad air) excessively complicated
Can't argue with any of these!

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 4th March 2018, 08:34 PM

oh I forgot one.

Auto folding wing mirrors when locking the car. Why isn't this a thing

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 4th March 2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY D View Post
That's a very good point! My Dad's Merc has that and its really handy. They fold when you lock it and unfold when you open a door. I keep meaning to look at the D2 diagrams to see if I can figure out how to do it, and now I'm reminded when I'm not sitting in a Merc I shall do so...

Edit: So, its actually a dedicated control unit, obviously. It has a single input telling it to fold the mirrors, which should be simple enough to subvert The challenge is going to be powering that unit with the ignition off, since its run from the X contact (switched ignition via a relay). It will need to be powered up independently of the rest of the car in order to fold the mirrors while locking, and the fold signal will have to remain energised until the control unit is powered down.

That I'm thinking is to feed it via a diode and have a relay connected to the 'lock' signal from the central locking. The relay would both feed the unit and also give it the fold signal. When the car locks the mirrors fold. When the ignition is switched on, the unit powers up without the fold signal so it unfolds them. It might be possible to use the close-windows signal to do this, so you'd hold the lock button on the remote to fold the mirrors

2nd edit: Yes, definitely possible to hook up the convenience closing function to the mirror folding, so you hold the lock button and the mirrors fold They unfold as soon as you turn on the ignition. It'll need a diode and a pair of relays, one with a slight delay. I reckon it could actually be done inside the driver's door, since both the wires we need run through there

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 4th March 2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 4th March 2018, 11:55 PM

I forgot one as well..... boot close on the key fob as well as boot open.

Oh and better access to the power steering fluid!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 5th March 2018, 04:09 AM

Although the 4 mode intermittent wiper timer delay switch (D2) is a nice enough feature in and of itself, a more variable delay period controller on the intermittent wipers is a feature I would have expected on the S8.
My 1994 Holden Berlina had a variable control wheel on the wiper switch, and so does the XC90.
Still it's a step up from the fixed interval on the A4!

Folding rear seats is a feature of the A4 I miss too - when I sold that car, I packed two boxes of spare parts plus 5 spare 17" wheels (no tyres from memory though) into the back of that thing - do that with the S8!

I like the auto folding mirrors idea.
One feature I also miss from my A4 is the range of the remote, and how the total closure feature operated. The A4 had an aftermarket remote entry module installed on it. On a double press of the lock button on the remote, the module energised the close circuit for 15 seconds - thus closing the doors and windows without having to keep the button depressed.
With the S8, I have tinted windows. I get intermittent operation of the total closure feature and have to be standing right next to the car with the key just about touching the drivers window to get it to close everything... It is just about easier to jump in the car and turn the ignition on!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 5th March 2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY D View Post
oh I forgot one.

Slightly OT, but Daz70 started a thread about doing this. It can be found here:

A8 - D2 Auto Folding Mirrors

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 5th March 2018, 10:38 AM

Interesting suggestions, my thoughts:
1. Folding rear seats, much better than a ski hatch though you need that as part of the setup too (Jaguar do it rather well).
2. Auto folding mirrors. Not convinced having one car with, one without. In freezing weather it's a problem. Though my Volvo does have a nice touch where you can instantly fold and unfold them to get by obstructions.
3. One-touch window close. Isn't this not done as a safety feature?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 5th March 2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
Although the 4 mode intermittent wiper timer delay switch (D2) is a nice enough feature in and of itself, a more variable delay period controller on the intermittent wipers is a feature I would have expected on the S8.
My 1994 Holden Berlina had a variable control wheel on the wiper switch, and so does the XC90.
Still it's a step up from the fixed interval on the A4!
I fitted a programmable timer relay from a Golf, so allows you to have between 1.5 - 22 seconds if memory serves me right, switch on and allow to wipe once then turn off till you want it to wipe again and it remembers that time delay. Much better than the 7 seconds take it or leave it.

I'd have liked selectable 4x4 on the transfer box, and maybe a low ratio.
Central tyre inflation system
Rear camera in the bumper looking at the tow hitch.
Glove box able to take cold air from the AC.
Reactalight windscreen (switchable)
Lap tray (foldable) that disappeared into the arm rest area, similar to that on a plane.
Auto Jacking made instead of the widow maker.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 5th March 2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
That's a very good point! My Dad's Merc has that and its really handy. They fold when you lock it and unfold when you open a door. I keep meaning to look at the D2 diagrams to see if I can figure out how to do it, and now I'm reminded when I'm not sitting in a Merc I shall do so...

Edit: So, its actually a dedicated control unit, obviously. It has a single input telling it to fold the mirrors, which should be simple enough to subvert The challenge is going to be powering that unit with the ignition off, since its run from the X contact (switched ignition via a relay). It will need to be powered up independently of the rest of the car in order to fold the mirrors while locking, and the fold signal will have to remain energised until the control unit is powered down.

That I'm thinking is to feed it via a diode and have a relay connected to the 'lock' signal from the central locking. The relay would both feed the unit and also give it the fold signal. When the car locks the mirrors fold. When the ignition is switched on, the unit powers up without the fold signal so it unfolds them. It might be possible to use the close-windows signal to do this, so you'd hold the lock button on the remote to fold the mirrors

2nd edit: Yes, definitely possible to hook up the convenience closing function to the mirror folding, so you hold the lock button and the mirrors fold They unfold as soon as you turn on the ignition. It'll need a diode and a pair of relays, one with a slight delay. I reckon it could actually be done inside the driver's door, since both the wires we need run through there
This has been queried a lot on MK1 Seat Leons with elec folding mirrors. I briefly looked into this and there was a company doing a module to allow this feature, I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Scroll down to reflex model. Being a VAG could work on a D2.

http://autowindow.tripod.com/products.html

Last edited by homer simpson; 5th March 2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 5th March 2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
3. One-touch window close. Isn't this not done as a safety feature?
The switch itself allows it, and it's just a matter of the windows having an obstruction sensor in them which it already has - hit a bump during the auto-up sequence and it immediately stops and then winds down about 4 inches.
Having to go and stand next to the car sort of defeats the purpose of having that convenience feature!

I'm about to try fitting 2xcr2016 batteries in the remote to see if that boosts range and function. Provided the 6V input doesn't kill it.
Failing that, a time delay circuit on the total closure circuit would fix it.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)