A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 25th November 2014, 10:26 AM

Default NEXUS 7 dash install.

Hey guys well ive decided to ditch the RNS-D and go for a permanent tablet install.

ive bagged myself a nexus 7 cheap on eBay and ive also picked up a few bits to get me started, fascia, 3amp step down power supply module and an OTG y cable to charge and use USB peripherals on the go.

Can anyone look at this code for images as they just come out HUGE!!!

Code:
[img={640}x{480}]{http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFgxMDI0/z/7AYAAOSwosFUVVVF/$_57.JPG}[/img]

[img={640}x{480}]{http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMVgxMDAx/z/oL4AAOSwY45UPfCG/$_57.JPG}[/img]
Im planning on a DVB-T usb dongle, Solid state 30GB hard disk.

ill be doing a step by step guide if anyone fancies doing similar.

Ian

Last edited by beastboxes; 25th November 2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 25th November 2014, 10:50 AM

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 25th November 2014, 01:41 PM

I have (sort of…) done this on my S8, courtesy of my Galaxy Note, and some judiciously placed velcro on the casing on the corner of the RNS-D screen, as shown, powered from the cigarette socket.

However, my favourite tablet dash install is this OEM one (even if it's not an Audi)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Galaxy Note as dash GPS etc.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	9611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tablet dash install - OEM....jpg
Views:	416
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	9612  
Old 26th November 2014, 09:24 AM

looks good tin tin... im going for a more OEM permanent install on mine... im a little gutted to loose the FIS as i do love the feature but in comparison with what i will have on the tablet its worth it i think.
Old 30th November 2014, 03:28 PM

ive been considering what to do with the RNS D too. please keep us informed with your project build i have a nexus 7 lying around not doing much and a more functional stereo/gps would be very nice indeed!
Old 1st December 2014, 12:24 PM

Defo will mate, im just waiting for the power supply and y cable to arrive from good ol china to get cracking in the meantime i plan on doing the sub stage in the boot, i have 4 JL WXV2 12" subs to go in. so far planning on a 4th order isobaric ported through the ski hatch to save as much space as possible.

i dont quite fancy removing the OEM amp just yet as i will be building full custom door builds so can anyone be kind enough to let me know what pins on the radio correspond to output to the OEM amp and also is there a remote from the radio to the amp to switch on?

any help would be immensely appreciated

Cheers guys!
Old 9th December 2014, 07:39 AM

Just to keep this thread updated ive finally managed to update the kernel (operating system) with "Timur's Kernel" it was a right pain to do but the benefits are very well worth it and id be happy to help walk anyone through the process as its quite a brain scrambler!

i can now plug in a power source and the screen will automatically switch on and switch off on pulling the power... i think essential when using a tablet in fixed installation.

Im still waiting on the OTG Y cable so i can start the wiring process.

Another handy app ive found is Tasker, it allows you to set variables for certain conditions definitely well worth it. So far i have managed to set up the tablet that when AC power is connected it will set brightness to max, set volume to max, switch to fixed landscape mode enable BT for the OBDII, enable WiFi and finally show a message to say the task is complete.
Ive also set a task for it to do the reverse on AC power disconnect.
Old 28th March 2015, 09:06 PM

Hey guys well I had some serious downtime with the car due to workload and everyone wanting installs done for summer but I've managed to get a bit more done.

I wired up the USB module to the relay panel in the passenger footwell where I found a switched 12v and further up behind some sound deadening a nice bus bar for ground connection
I've managed to get to this stage with the dash panel. I butchered the typical choice of din fascia but decided to recess it behind instead of flush... I just felt it would be a stronger fixture. Tomorrow I will make a panel to go over the whole thing so it blends nicely onto the nexus.

I'll try get some more pics as I work through it some more tomorrow...

I'm struggling with a quick and simple/cheap temporary fix for using the OEM Bose amp with the tablet till I pull it all out for a full upgrade.

At the moment I'm using the TV input with a jack but of course this requires the rns-d to still be fitted...

Can I just tap into the existing line out from the rns-d and run a switched live to the amp to turn it on? Anyone know what the remote feed is on the amp itself?

Thanks In advanced for any help!!!
Old 31st March 2015, 01:22 PM

So ive managed to get sound into the BOSE amp via the line out pins on the RNS D and managed to switch the amp on with the remote wire although the RNS D only feeds a short burst of between 2-2.5v to switch on/off ive just pumped 12v accessory down it and all seems ok futher investigation is needed I think I may have to change this as it might be causing the following issue.

I have massive amounts of ground loop noise more than ive ever experienced before and ive been doing car audio for many years now.
It only kicks in when no music is playing on the nexus, or I change from one app to another etc I find this a bit weird and noticed it would happen to a friends install only when he actually touched his phone screen.

I have no wiring diagrams for the nexus 7 but thanks to this forum and Delboy maybe I can sort the problem out via the car.

The issue only seems to be when charging. so im going to try and ground the USB module to the BOSE amp ground and see if that makes any difference.

Wish me luck!!!
Old 7th April 2015, 12:45 PM

Hey guys well ive managed to mock up a quick test frame to get things going so I can test functionality, so far so good, switches on and off with the key, goes into deep sleep and charges fast enough to keep everything switched on and full screen brightness.

Ive decided I don't like the carbon look and how it recesses twice into the OEM frame, so im going to remake the face to look a flush fit OEM style.