A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 14th December 2017, 12:08 PM

Exclamation Heads Up - Control Head Reset! ...

I've had a few 'battery flats' over the years but the one I had two days ago reset my Control Head to some sort of factory default!

When I got the car started, the MMI and DIS text were in German and a lot of the options on the MMI Setup screen were missing.

Using VCDS, I discovered that the Control Head's 'Coding' was reset to 0000000 [a non-valid option] and some or all of my Adaptation channels reflecting my car's options had been reset.

Sadly, I'd never taken note of the channels [there's a VCDS option to do this], so I'm struggling to get all the menus reset to reflect what I've got in my car. [I obviously know the coding from AutoScan output that I've kept, although it only really selects the language - UK is '2'. I didn't realise that the ECU's adapation values could ever get reset, so I never bothered to save the values for my car].

Thus; if you've got VCDS, you might like to dump your CH adaptation data to a .CSV file while you can.

Julian

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!

Last edited by JulianHicks; 8th May 2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Clarify what was lost ...
Old 14th December 2017, 07:27 PM

Have you still got access to the green menu?

I'd just rattle through there ticking all the boxes

Things that don't work don't show up anyway like the oil level for example

Old 15th December 2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Have you still got access to the green menu?

I'd just rattle through there ticking all the boxes

Things that don't work don't show up anyway like the oil level for example
Thanks for your comments 'DelBoy'

I originally didn't have access to the 'Green Menu' but fortunately I have VCDS and the label file for the A8 Control Head is not encrypted [it's a .lbl rather than a .clb], so I was able to read the file and do some appropriate Adaptation to restore it.

However, some of the Adaptation settings for the CH are either not described by Ross Tech or are not very clear. But I think I've been able to reset most of what was there but with so many options, I don't recall what was there in the first place. Hence the recommendation to all forum users to save the adaptation settings before you need them.

But as your suggestion; this morning when I found the Parking System option wasn't on the menu, I restored it by ticking the Green Menu options for 'front' and 'back'. I'll check to see what changed in Adaptation later.

Julian

BTW; if anyone feels like using VCDS to dump your CH Adaptations to a CSV and attaching it to this thread, it may be interesting and even helpful to see what a 'working' one looks like against my reset one, now partially restored, that's attached to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 1 adpmap-07-4E0-910-769-Q.CSV with comments.txt (9.7 KB, 359 views)

Last edited by JulianHicks; 15th December 2017 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 15th December 2017, 01:17 PM

Julian,

Read the below link for info to comprise the code for adaptation channels depending upon equipment installed and HW version of the control head.

http://www.audi-resource.com/ecu07.php

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 15th December 2017, 05:32 PM

Hi Matt; thanks for that.

I was aware of that website but forget that it had some detail that Ross Tech files may not have.

I'm going to check my 'adaptation dump' with what's published and then sort out what's left ...

Julian

Old 19th December 2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianHicks View Post
Hi Matt; thanks for that.

I was aware of that website but forget that it had some detail that Ross Tech files may not have.
Turns out the info. on the Audi_Resource website pretty much matches what's in the VCDS Label files. Probably contributory to the change to encrypted .clb label files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianHicks View Post
I'm going to check my 'adaptation dump' with what's published and then sort out what's left ...
Thanks to Ray, who sent me his map to check against mine, I've now sorted out most of my missing MMI menus. In the process though, it's clear there are adaptation values in the ECU for which Ross Tech and others haven't published infomation.

BTW, in the unexpected reset, I also lost my Video In Motion but as I only have the analogue TV, I haven't bothered resetting that.

Julian