A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 2nd May 2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
after having left my car for 3 1/2 weeks, it started on the button although a quick multimeter reading beforehand showed 11.8V.
Mine varies, but is similar and rarely over 12V measured in the boot with just the boot unlocked.
I wonder what other people see from their batteries live on the car and measured that way?

I've been logging the voltage every day and "typically" it's around 11.9v. With the big charger still attached (via OBD) and in bright sun (though behind the tinted windscreen) I measured 12.09v earlier today.
To be honest the numbers are almost identical to those with the smaller charger, but I like the extra headroom this one gives as the weather and day length vary. As an over-70 I have little expectation of driving the S8 much if at all for a significant distance this year!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd May 2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Mine varies, but is similar and rarely over 12V measured in the boot with just the boot unlocked.
I wonder what other people see from their batteries live on the car and measured that way?
I'd be interested to see that too. I've seen different voltages from:

[1] my OBD-Eleven dongle Android application
[2] the special engineering menu on the climate control display for value 36
[3] the multimeter reading direct to the battery terminals.

Once lock-down clears, I'll be having a good nose at the terminals/connection block on the front chassis rail OSF. I know that voltage drops over distance which will always affect our cars, but mine hasn't been looked at since I had all those issues with my starter motor lol (reminder for all - it was the very same electrical connector block under the car causing all of the problems. I got a free brand-new starter motor into the bargain.)
Old 12th May 2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I've been logging the voltage every day and "typically" it's around 11.9v. With the big charger still attached (via OBD) and in bright sun (though behind the tinted windscreen) I measured 12.09v earlier today.
Up to 12.22v today and it's not even fully sunny. Maybe tomorrow we'll take the Audi out and drive somewhere for our daily exercise.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th May 2020, 10:28 AM

I appear to be lagging behind somewhat with a reading of 12.04 volts but that's not going to stop me from my government-sanctioned first drive of the A8, in over a month of sitting dormant. It will be good to 'clean out the pipes'.
Old 16th May 2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Up to 12.22v today and it's not even fully sunny. Maybe tomorrow we'll take the Audi out and drive somewhere for our daily exercise.
Started fine, best I've seen is 12.24v just before I started it for a run. Interestingly, the other car is used occasionally and now has the smaller charger on it but actually has consistently slightly lower battery voltage readings.
Though that has 2 batteries due to the stop-start system and much more complex battery management so I don't know what I'm actually measuring off the OBD lead...

Last edited by HPsauce; 16th May 2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 16th May 2020, 12:38 PM

I haven't used the car for the past two weeks. Still it has 12.2v which seems normal to me. Multimeter reading direct to the battery terminals

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 18th May 2020, 08:02 PM

I have an identical unit I bought from Maplins (RIP) when it was going under. I can confirm after using it for a year or two that it works well, keeping the D2 S8 charged with infrequent use. Like you say, won't do much for an empty battery but does a great job of keeping a charged on in good order. I've velcro'd mine to the rear parcel shelf and run the cables straight down to the battery in the boot. It's only 2.4W but seems to do the job. I also have a 30W one with a charge controller that I've been testing in the garage on a spare battery. The plan was to fit that to the D4 as it is much more power hungry. However with all the electronics I've been holding back. The charge controller will cut off and restart as the battery drains. Thoughts welcome