A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 22nd March 2020, 08:32 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Default Merging two access points.

I currently get my internet from an EE 4g modem. Being rural, it's the only option to copper wire which Max's out at 6 Megs. The 4g hits 25 on a good day. It is however damned expensive if I exceed my allowance. Now I've signed up to Netflix that is happening occasionally.

Can I merge two USPS. One over my telephone line and one from my 4g modem based on bandwidth demand. Normally running on the ADSL supply but kicking in the 4g ISP when required?

TiA.
CtL

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 23rd March 2020, 07:28 AM

In theory, yes. In practice, it's a bit more complex. You'll need some kind of device to put 'in front' of both connections (like a raspberry Pi) and some software to control it. Very possible that someone has already done it.

I know.. I know..

Old 23rd March 2020, 08:14 AM

We've just gone to Airband 25 notes a month. But you might be too valleyised and tree bound to get it.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:38 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

You can do fail-over DSL/LTE easily with the right router. I do this for some of my customers and for my own home/office connection. I use a DrayTek Vigor 2862 LTE at home, which has a built-in LTE modem and additionally supports ADSL/VDSL, fibre broadband (over Ethernet), etc. The router takes a SIM card, which provides a 4G LTE connection if my VDSL connection goes down. Or, I can immediately switch to LTE any time I like simply by disconnecting the VDSL connection.

However, switching from DSL to LTE based on bandwidth requirements is a lot more complicated, and really not something you'd want to do. Even if you could make it work reliably, it would provide a poor internet experience due to the frequently changing public IP address, which would result in streaming restarts and website log-outs.

Have you considered switching to Three instead? They offer unlimited 4G/5G packages.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 23rd March 2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
We've just gone to Airband 25 notes a month.
I'm planning to switch to Airband in the next few months when my EE 4G contract comes to an end, as I'm having the same problem as Mike. I didn't have Airband coverage when I signed up with EE - they built a local repeater just 2 weeks later I thought 100GB a month with EE would be plenty, but I can use at least double that with Netflix & Prime. I switch my TV over to use my phone as a router though, since that also has 100GB.

EE have recently introduced an unlimited data SIM though for £40 a month, so maybe just switch to that once the 100GB contract expires?
Old 23rd March 2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I'm planning to switch to Airband in the next few months when my EE 4G contract comes to an end, as I'm having the same problem as Mike. I didn't have Airband coverage when I signed up with EE - they built a local repeater just 2 weeks later I thought 100GB a month with EE would be plenty, but I can use at least double that with Netflix & Prime. I switch my TV over to use my phone as a router though, since that also has 100GB.

EE have recently introduced an unlimited data SIM though for £40 a month, so maybe just switch to that once the 100GB contract expires?
Crikey!! 100GB sounds a lot!

We are quite lucky here, they tend to pilot stuff here on the island. We were one of the very first place to BT Infinity and it was mega cheap when they first offered it to islanders (presumably to test it?).

My cousin and his wife (in Devon) are always moaning about their lack of phone signal and internet. You'd really like to think they would have sorted this for everyone by now, it's 2020!

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 23rd March 2020, 06:13 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Thanks for the feed back and ideas. I see 3 have a good deal on unlimited 4g that is also 5g ready. I'll look into EEs new unlimited offer as well.
It strikes me I could run two networks at home. All my AV is hardwired so the 4g could supply that. WiFi could be supplied by a different router supplied by ADSL.
However if I can find someone with a 3 mobile to check if I can get a signal at the house I may go that way.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:22 PM

I feel for you all.

I'm on Virgin Cable. Supposed to be 300Mbps but usually 384Mbps.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)