A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 13th March 2015, 09:30 PM

Default Addressing fall out from repair of MMI screen mechanism

I repaired the MMI screen mechanism (replace broken plastic cogs with metal ones) a good few months a ago now and when I put it all back together it didn't all go back together perfectly...

Those imperfections have been doing my head in ever since and I'd like to have a go at sorting them out. I was just wondering if anybody could offer some advice to help me to do so.

Basically, two problems:

1. When I went to reinstall the the chrome section of the dash immediately underneath the MMI screen, the section which has the card tray attached, I couldn't reconnect the power cable which plugs into the back of the card tray which powers the red light behind symbol for the card tray. There was absolutely no slack on the power cable so it was impossible to plug it into the back of the card tray before pushing the whole thing back into place. So the red light behind the symbol for the card tray isn't working. I'd like to sort it out but have absolutely no idea how. Any ideas???

2. Following the repair to the mechanism, the MMI screen pops up and down really nicely and has worked faultlessly ever since, but the only disappointing thing is that when it closes the edge of the wood trim which covers the MMI screen when it's in the down position doesn't sit flush with the edge of the wood trim immediately underneath the vents which are on either side. It's approximately 5mm short of where it should be if that makes any sense. Again, I'd like to sort it out but have absolutely no idea how. Any ideas???

It's a big job for me to take it all apart again to address these 2 problems which some might see as minor and not really worth the bother, but I'd like to have a go... like I said, they're doing my head in.
Old 14th March 2015, 09:19 PM

Difficult to visualise what your doing but the card/coin tray has trim that's removeable without messing about with wires, if you open the coin tray then
push the trim to the left it will unclip from the tray allowing you to remove the rest of the belt line trim

Old 15th March 2015, 01:57 PM

Yeah, I didn't unclip the trim on the card holder, I couldn't work out how to do it so when I removed the belt line time as you call it the entrire card tray came with it. There's a power cable that connects into the back of that which came away and that's what I can't reconnect... I don't think there's anyway of sorting that out now. Maybe I'll just have to forget about it.

I've attached a photo of the MMI screen trim which isn't lining up correctly. Any thoughts on that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	10344  
Old 15th March 2015, 04:41 PM

When I bought my A8, the coin tray didn't light up.
I removed it and couldn't find the cable - so I made a new one and piggy backed it from the vent illumination. Fast forward a couple of years I had to remove the glovebox to upgrade the CAN Gateway and found the cable had fallen right down so cable-tied it up back where it should be.
Removing the glovebox is not a big job. It takes 10 minutes with the instructions.
Old 15th March 2015, 05:33 PM

I'm guessing that if you can move your LCD actuator one tooth along its cog, this will sort it

How about extending the cable to give yourself enough length to get it in.
Old 15th March 2015, 05:53 PM

Yeah, it looks like it's a tooth or two out. Don't really fancy taking the whole thing apart again but might give it a go.

The cable would definitely need extending if I were to get it in. I just wouldn't know how to do that.

I thought this morning about possibly getting in through the glove box. Does anybody have any instructions on how to remove the glove box? I wouldn't mind giving that a go