A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Trims

D3 - Interior Trims Seats, dashboards, plastics, everything inside the cabin

Old 8th July 2013, 07:49 PM

Default MMI Question

Hello folks, I was wondering if people can report if their MMI is doing a full boot up in the morning or just wake from sleep at whatever it was doing before. When I turn on the car, even after 12 hours of being parked, the MMI screen pops up after a couple of seconds and resumes on whatever screen it was on when I parked, such as CD track or navigation. I would expect it to have shutdown and be rebooting showing the MMI splash screen etc...

I now and again have troube with the battery becoming flat, and this seems to happen if I have returned to the car to get something out or roll it a few feet which requires turning it on and off and then relocking it - Then something happens, something starts draining the battery and even if the car is started driven and stopped, while the battery charges while driving it then continues to go flat when parked, going too flat to start in less that an hour.
Old 8th July 2013, 07:54 PM

my mmi has always just resumed from exactly where i left it

The power problems could be the battery, or their are a couple of tsrs about power draining, seems severe though so could be the battery

tsr fixes are mostly down to making sure you have latest mmi firmware and a couple of software updates that have to be done by audi.

what year is your car
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 31st January 2014, 12:37 PM

Yes mine always resumes from where it was left. I only ever see the start up screen if I reboot it. Otherwise, never.
Old 31st January 2014, 12:48 PM

Mine always returns to where I left off.

One, if you have battery problem, then system my cut the battery usage by cutting off the MMI, thats why every time returns to full boot as it wasn't in sleep mode due to power issue.

If you have a old battery and already having issues with it then 130quid bosch silver 5 from eurocarparts with discount would be where I would start as maintaining batteries on these cars as you know very well mate is very important due to battery management system which distributes power, and when battery is short on V then I assume management system will start cutting off systems in order to keep car alive while is off.

MMI update, yes, do it with Audi, I've done 2 on 2 06 plate A8s with exactly same procedures which Audi will follow and one went fine and mine went wrong and I lost bluetooth module driver and that needs replacing and as mentioned in previous threads this isn't cheap plus you have to match SW number and that isn't easy at all, I havent got Tel in my car for 13months now and I'm looking every week/month for it.
Mainly looking in Poland due to very high exclusive car theft there is 100s of A8s chopped across the country and they are on in bits online to buy cheap
Found 100s of modules so far but not lucky with matching SW, which in only way to fix my in car Tel

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 31st January 2014, 03:12 PM

The MMI always initialises itself as soon as you unlock the car, so its ready to go when you are. Even in its powered off state its still running, so you still have phone functionality for example and the NAV always has a GPS lock. I never see the splash screen either unless I force reboot the MMI.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 31st January 2014, 04:18 PM

Yes, the problem was the 1 year old VARTA Silver was a pile of junk.
I replaced it in November after being stuck in the car park at work, had to get a taxi to and from Eurocarparts, luckily it was on offer £134 that week, was £212 last week!
Now I have a new one (Lion AGM) I know the VARTA was never right from day one and all my battery problems have been gone for 3 months.
Also, the VARTA was the last time I buy one off the internet as to claim warranty one would have to pay the postage for a 25KG hazardous goods and they would probably just say no fault found come and collect it or send courier.