A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 3rd July 2013, 09:25 PM

Default Instrument cluster - how do I code a new one

It looks like I will need a RHD instrument cluster with a mile-speedo to be able to register the car in the UK.
Looking at a few threads I see that the facelift insturment cluster carries an imobiliser and has to be coded to the keys?
Does anyone know how to do this using VCDS?

Othe alternative I was thinking of, can the speedo dial be detached from a RHD instrument cluster and re-attached to my instrument cluster? Are the dials glued in or can the be unbloted?
Old 4th July 2013, 07:45 AM

Could you just use an American/Canadian cluster in MPH?
Old 4th July 2013, 07:50 AM

Ideally you want mph and kmh if you intend taking it back to Germany at any stage (or anywhere else in Europe, obviously!) so clock swap would be easiest option

I'm not sure on the ins and outs of the options - I would expect you could transplant just the speedo into your existing cluster, but not sure how coding could be done.

It MIGHT be easier to swap the whole cluster and as a nice touch you'll have a miles odometer which if done properly you can have 'corrected' to show the current kilometer-age in miles so it all looks correct. Best to get that done professionally so it's fully documented and also as you can then produce an invoice to DVLA if required. I doubt they'll want to see it.

Adding a fog light to the offside is about the only thing I can think of that you'll need for MOT, so probably easiest to add another light so you have 2 or buy a used set of inner lights and wire accordingly. Not sure how easy it is to swap the wiring round?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 4th July 2013, 08:10 AM

I don't recall all that's needed electronically for a cluster swap, but it is beyond VAG-com as I recall. Ring up someone like Revo or whoever does chip-tuning in the UK. Most of them should have the answers.
Old 4th July 2013, 08:48 AM

Thanks, yes it sounds like a good idea to get it done professionally. I'll get hold of a UK cluster and go to MRC or maybe even the local dealer to get it coded.
Found some VCDS instructions, looks like I need the immo-ID from both the original and replacement cluster, so best to go to someone who knows how to extract them.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...rument_Cluster)
Old 4th July 2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Adding a fog light to the offside is about the only thing I can think of that you'll need for MOT, so probably easiest to add another light so you have 2 or buy a used set of inner lights and wire accordingly. Not sure how easy it is to swap the wiring round?
The wiring is all there and "live" with the connectors tidily "parked", you just need the bulbholder and bulb (and to punch out a flimsy blanking plate) to get a 2nd fog light.
The only thing I've noticed is that the beam pattern on the 2nd one (obviously nearside for me) isn't as good. I do wonder if there are different lens mouldings for LHD and RHD rear clusters.
To make sure just take the cover off in the boot lid and have a look.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th July 2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
The wiring is all there and "live" with the connectors tidily "parked", you just need the bulbholder and bulb (and to punch out a flimsy blanking plate) to get a 2nd fog light.
The only thing I've noticed is that the beam pattern on the 2nd one (obviously nearside for me) isn't as good. I do wonder if there are different lens mouldings for LHD and RHD rear clusters.
To make sure just take the cover off in the boot lid and have a look.
There's a reflector in one that isn't found in the other. (I just had a set of rear lamps I chopped up for an LED project)
Old 4th July 2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post
There's a reflector in one that isn't found in the other.
Interesting, I looked for something like that but didn't spot it.
Is it something you could make yourself and slot in, out of aluminium foil for example?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th July 2013, 10:57 AM

I imagine a 2nd hand inner lens unit from a RHD car would cost buttons - bulb holder etc all present and correct and just put the wiring where needed

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 4th July 2013, 12:07 PM

Thanks guys! sounds fairly straight forward, I'll have a look tonight.