A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 2nd March 2019, 08:06 PM

Default D2 Rear Passenger Footwell Wet

Ladies and Gents,

This subject has been done to death and there are many excellent threads and stickies on this subject but alas my A8 is still moist.

I have a damp rear passenger side footwell carpet in the back of the car, specifically the rear corner of it closest to the door.

To cover off what I have done so far and the symptoms:

1) All other footwell carpets are dry its just the rear part of the rear passenger footwell
2) The Evaporator drains have been checked, both are clear and work as expected
3) The front cowl drain has been checked by the bulkhead and is also clear and working
4) Botangs hole has been repaired, sealed and is not leaking
5) The sunroof drains have also been checked, again clear and working as expected
6) I have also checked the rear heater vents and again clear and nothing coming out of those from the centre or under the seats
7) The boot is also dry and nothing in that area is wet
8) The water ingress is from rain and happened last when the car was stationary over night

As you can see I have checked most of the standard areas that the D2 can get leaks from.

My current thought is its actually coming in through the rear passenger door somehow, has anyone had anything similar that caused a wet patch?

I have been through the car this weekend and last weekend to see if I can work it out and to date its got me scratching my head.

Though on a more positive note I did repair a faulty EGR Valve on my A2

Any thoughts?
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--

Last edited by Nognar; 2nd March 2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:56 PM

Have you had the door panel off? There is a bitumen mat which is a fairly poor attempt at a vapour barrier. That might be torn or loose, or even missing. Alternatively, does the door fit in the frame properly? If the window frame is misaligned it might not seal against the rubber properly and allow rain to drip in. Is the door card damp?

Maybe sit in there with a torch while someone sprays it with a hose and see if you can see a drip?
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:02 PM

Interesting, yes the door frame all looks good and is aligned as expected plus the window looks all good.

I shall take the door panel off and have a look at that.
--
Old 9th March 2019, 03:50 PM

Removed the door panel today and indeed it was wet inside.

The foam sound deadening material was soaked at the bottom behind the speaker. Clearly water had been getting in and dripping down to the bottom and causing the wet carpets.

Interestingly though I was expecting a membrane or some clear plastic as part of the door to keep the water out but there was nothing! Maybe someone has been there before and not put it back which would explain a lot!

Therefore I have used some clear plastic sheeting to keep the window mechanism part separated from the foam insulation part with the hope that stops the water getting into the footwell.

Poured water to test and it drains out the bottom of the door as expected, nothing blocked so it may be the the angle the car is parked. Hence I hope the plastic sheet shall be enough to keep the water dripping out the bottom and not getting onto the foam.
--

Last edited by Nognar; 9th March 2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 9th March 2019, 09:04 PM

That bitumen thing is all there is from the factory. Its supposed to be clipped to the door skin, but usually its dried out and cracked by now. Mine are held on with duct tape!
Old 8th May 2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
That bitumen thing is all there is from the factory. Its supposed to be clipped to the door skin, but usually its dried out and cracked by now. Mine are held on with duct tape!
I have just experienced the same issue with the nearside rear door. All other drains OK. Removing the door card the 'membrane' is toast...... I am considering replacing with a sheet of EPDM and adhesive...

https://www.arbo.co.uk/products/epdm...cade-membrane/

If it is good for tower block facades it must be good for this small application.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!