A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 27th April 2014, 01:00 PM

This is just one of many threads on the same subject

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showth...ighlight=shell

This post is particularly interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardoc View Post
23k miles and mine runs like a bag of spanners on it. M Technician at Sytner said stay away from Nitro at all costs, poor lubrication, over detonation, he's seen it on the inside of rebuilt engines in the last 6 months.... common denomonator - Shell Nitro. Leeds Scotthall said the same too. Aston Martin actively tell owners to avoid it. Hardly anyone has a good word for it..except those who were V Power fans (like me) and now use it (not me) and say they have no problems.

Somethings not quite right.
Or this thread

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...Nitro%2B&mid=0

I'd say it was 'all over the internet'
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Last edited by sarg; 27th April 2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 27th April 2014, 01:04 PM

And loads of "happy" posts in that thread as well.
As one guy said:
Quote:
It does seem strange how it effects some and not others.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 27th April 2014, 01:10 PM

It's also worth mentioning how much easier it is to find Tesco Momentum as they have a far wider distribution network of course.

Until a year ago or so, I would have a 16 miles drive to my nearest Shell station.

Old 27th April 2014, 01:19 PM

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=shell

Old 2nd May 2014, 08:00 AM

Sorry boys, been off for few days as my back went again so I was all drugged up laying still and flying high like a vegetable in the basket in the local market

Anyway, I hear you Sarg and agree that Tesco momentum might be widely spread but this also depends on the location. Will have to google later how many tesco and shell ps is around the whole country.

I live in SE london and to get to the nearest tesco petrol station I would have to travel just over 10miles where on the way I would have at least 2 Shell stations.

In regards to Aston Martin and M technician claims, hmmm...haven't heard of such a claims before from such a reputable source such as Aston. M technician, he must know what he is talking about, surely, but is that base on experience with cars which were running Vpower from brand new until he gave them a deep check over to be certain that damage was caused by Vpower??? Or just a second hand cars with part history where you dont really know what was in that tank before filling Vpower.

Again, very strong claims but there isn't much, or at all, on the web from reputable sources. No such a test was done to prove this claims which are pretty serious I have to say. Would Ferrari put their name on it if it was such a **** fuel. I know you may its all about money, but if Tesco would pay more to advertise their fuel as best would Ferrari take the offer???

There is way much more positive feedback and actual tests done proving that Vpower is best or one of the best but not so much and no real test that it isn't or its sh@t.

I am REALLY trying to open minded here, but so far not much convincing facts.

I will actually fill Momentum next time when I'm around Tesco and I will make sure that tank is almost empty just to see if I can spot any difference my self.
I don't really care what name is on the fuel as long is the best I will fill my car with it, even if that would be Londis Super PowerV fuel

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:34 AM

Since we are throwing in personal opinion posts, here are some more just for fun

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...momentum&mid=0

particularly:

"My 135i ran exclusively on momentum for 45,000 miles until it started going into Limp mode. I took it to the dealer and the injectors were failing on Cylinders 5 and 6."

"The base petrol for Tesco Momentum, as produced by the Greenergy company in the UK, is made from a cheaper fraction of distilled crude. In fact it's not really petrol to begin with, at the distillation phase it's a fraction known as naphtha. This isn't worth as much as refined petrol, however via reforming (specifically cracking), naphtha can be upgraded to high octane petrol. When married to a larger additives package by volume, you can iron out most of the problems with this approach.

The net result is a mostly comparable product, which is much much cheaper to produce."

* just to add, I agree there are probably better fuels than either discussed here to be had in Germany and most of the rest of Europe. Shame we cant get them here.

Last edited by Goran; 2nd May 2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:34 AM

Thanks Goran, that's a very interesting post. Even though I do use Momentum, I still also use either Shell Nitro or the BP equivalent, so can't see me suffering from the same problems described here (esp. as I only do about £5k pa in my S8!)
Old 3rd May 2014, 10:41 AM

As I'm sure you all spotted, the second guy's argument is incorrect, of course there is no single hydrocarbon distillation of crude called 'petrol', petrol is always a mixture of several different hydrocarbons distilled from crude, so it does not matter what the original raw oil is, crued, shail oil, etc.
Maybe the base mix for both fuels comes from the same UK refiery anyway.
Still, I agree with his overall point, it is very unlikely Greenergy can make a superior petrol mix and make it cheaper, having been in business for a shorter period of time.
Old 26th May 2014, 09:08 AM

Default A small surprise perhaps?

I do tend to fill up at Shell and normally go for Nitro as my car tends not to like the standard unleaded at 95 RON. Most of the time this is my preference although if I do get caught out, I'll sling any old crap in there. Much better to get home than be a petrol snob, in my opinion.

Yesterday I was deliberating whether to risk it with 5 miles range left and attempt a country lane excursion to Bletchingley and thought better of it and diverted to a Total (toe-tarl?) garage for quick sip of their super unleaded at Redhill. Stuck 20 quid in, and I have to admit that it's actually impressed me. I think it's still 97 RON but it does seem to have made a noticeable difference. I might go for half a tank next time at a local Total garage to see if my experience holds true.