A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Wheels and Tyres

D4 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 1st March 2018, 08:50 AM

Default Do I need to replace all 4 tyres?

Hi guys, the two front tyres on my Quattro A8 will need replacing soon but the rear tyres will last another few months. Question is, is it essential to replace all 4 tyres at the same time?

I’ve heard there are two Audi Quattro systems and one is far more sensitive to uneven tyre wear across the 4 tyres than the other Quattro system. Do you know which system I’d have on my car?

2014 A8 D4 (4H) 3.0 TDi - Phantom Black Pearl / 21” S8 PLUS Alloys / Velvet Beige & Moor Brown Extended Leather Package / Alcantara Package / Comfort Seats With Heating, Cooling and 9 Stage Massage Function / Head Up Display / Adaptive Cruise Control with Pre-Sense Front / Active Lane Assist / Parking System Advanced 360 with Top View / Mobile Telephone High with Audi Connect / Google Maps Navigation / Cooled Glove Box / Twin 10” HD Rear Seat Entertainment System / WiFi / BOSE Surround Sound / Powered Soft Close Doors and Boot
Old 1st March 2018, 10:27 AM

I've seen this question come up a few times and from what I've seen there is no need to replace all four, what seems to be most important is to ensure tyres on the same axle match.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 1st March 2018, 10:30 AM

No need to replace all 4 at once - I'd rotate the rears onto the front to finish them off when you get a pair of new tyres fitted. Once the fronts are then dead again repeat the process and you've got some nicely bedded in tyres on the front that'll last longer and won't scrub tread off as readily.

Whether it makes sense to do that will depend on how close to the limit the rears are at the moment - just swapping to new tyres of the same type isn't an issue. If you're changing brand they 'may' have a different rolling radius, but again the quattro system can cope fine.

Was only the uR quattro and others around that period that needed more care, although if you have the LSD in the back end it pays to keep similar tread across the axle at all times

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 1st March 2018, 12:03 PM

I think that the Torsen system is relatively tolerant of differences in tyre circumference. The Haldex system used in the LR Freelander I have is not and I understand that running, say, tyres with 3mm of tread and tyres at the other end with 7/8mm will knackered the Haldex unit.
Old 1st March 2018, 02:14 PM

Thanks guys. Ok, it does appear that my A8 has the Torsen Quattro system.

I’ll change the tyres on the front and take your advice of swapping them to the rear.

2014 A8 D4 (4H) 3.0 TDi - Phantom Black Pearl / 21” S8 PLUS Alloys / Velvet Beige & Moor Brown Extended Leather Package / Alcantara Package / Comfort Seats With Heating, Cooling and 9 Stage Massage Function / Head Up Display / Adaptive Cruise Control with Pre-Sense Front / Active Lane Assist / Parking System Advanced 360 with Top View / Mobile Telephone High with Audi Connect / Google Maps Navigation / Cooled Glove Box / Twin 10” HD Rear Seat Entertainment System / WiFi / BOSE Surround Sound / Powered Soft Close Doors and Boot

Last edited by BigAl5; 1st March 2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 1st March 2018, 05:45 PM

Thats weird about the haldex unit in the Freelander, what an oddity, I've run staggered, slicks and weirdo sizes all over my track TT, its subject to all forms of abuse and I have the haldex unit locked in permanent 50/50 with a PowerTrack insert as well.

The clutches are fine and the diffs have never sh*t themselves either.

Back to the OP, I rotate front to back, get the most out and replace all 4 at the same time
Old 1st March 2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
Thats weird about the haldex unit in the Freelander, what an oddity, I've run staggered, slicks and weirdo sizes all over my track TT, its subject to all forms of abuse and I have the haldex unit locked in permanent 50/50 with a PowerTrack insert as well.

The clutches are fine and the diffs have never sh*t themselves either.

Back to the OP, I rotate front to back, get the most out and replace all 4 at the same time
Are all the 8s torsen AWD?

Also, I rotate from front to back and then replace all 4.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.