A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 17th June 2016, 01:05 PM

Default Leaking sunroof

Last night we had some torrential rain - real cloudburst stuff. My car (D3, 2006) was parked on the street, offside to the kerb. Mild camber, so offside lower than nearside.

This morning I noticed water on the dash. A quick investigation revealed that water had entered the car somewhere along the offside seal of the sunroof (glass). The headlining is damp, as is part of the A pillar, as is the carpet in the driver's footwell closest to the front bottom corner of the driver's door.

Has anyone encountered this sort of leak from the sunroof before? Any ideas as to root cause?

TIA

Putting squashed dinosaur world to good use.
Old 17th June 2016, 01:43 PM

Sounds to me like the sunroof drains need unblocking. In each corner of the sunroof with the glass rolled back you will see a drain hole which guides water down the A-pillars and exits near the front door hinges.

Blow an air line down there or alternatively some pipe cleaner to clear the lines and all the cr@p will come out onto the ground. Pour a certain amount of water down it after and see that the same amount comes out.

Not an A8, but the same thing applies... Watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymZNgKkEdXk
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 17th June 2016, 07:23 PM

Good shout. I should know by now that if there's water inside a VAG car it's a good chance a drainage channel is blocked.

I managed to find the drainage holes around the sunroof. No sign of the other end though. Can't find it under the bonnet, in the wheel arch or in the door frame. I bought 2 meters of cycle gear cable sheathing and started to feed that into the drainage hole. At about 1.5m in it gets stuck on both sides. That's about as far as half way down the door frame. No sign of a release of water and muck on either side.

If I could find the exit point, maybe I could work the cable sheathing in from that end. Can't find anything on the web for where it might be on a D3. On a D2 it appears to be half way down the door frame between the hinges. On the D3 there's a fixed circular black plastic cap both sides where that would be.

Hmm.

Putting squashed dinosaur world to good use.
Old 19th June 2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg66 View Post
Good shout. I should know by now that if there's water inside a VAG car it's a good chance a drainage channel is blocked.

I managed to find the drainage holes around the sunroof. No sign of the other end though. Can't find it under the bonnet, in the wheel arch or in the door frame. I bought 2 meters of cycle gear cable sheathing and started to feed that into the drainage hole. At about 1.5m in it gets stuck on both sides. That's about as far as half way down the door frame. No sign of a release of water and muck on either side.

If I could find the exit point, maybe I could work the cable sheathing in from that end. Can't find anything on the web for where it might be on a D3. On a D2 it appears to be half way down the door frame between the hinges. On the D3 there's a fixed circular black plastic cap both sides where that would be.

Hmm.
In the wheel arches
Rhd
Behind the washer. Bottle behind wheel arch cover on right side.
The other is in the same place but no washer bottle
Don't pull out the end grommet because it won't go back in.
It's a crash little slit that won't let ant solids through.
There is a wrightup at Audi world