A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Owners Meets

Owners Meets Any info for any meetings, events, track days

Old 30th August 2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardracer View Post
Hi folks,
I have had a clash which means not attending this year. To those who go or are thinking about it, great event, lots of fun if you do a track session, with low risk if driven sensibly.

Richard
So that wasnt you with the smoking brakes last year then Richard?
Sorry to be missing it too.
Old 1st September 2017, 08:49 PM

Default Castle Combe and smoking brakes

Hello David,

Yes they were a bit pungent weren't they. However, they did work well out on track (EBC yellow stuff pads). We kept out of the way as first timers. I can vouch for the fact that sitting beside your son in law, in passenger seat approaching a 90 degree right hand bend at 90 mph could put dents in the passenger floor pan. To be fair he drove at least as well as I did, without my 100,000 miles of experience in the car.

Regards

Richard
2006 Audi S8 V10 Now Sold. Akoya Silver with black/grey leather, standard 20" wheels, hybrid TV, Bang & Olufssen audio, Heated seats front and rear, Dension ipod integration, DAB radio, keyless entry, rear electric blind, bluetooth connection to Apple iphone6S. Started at 60,000 miles end April 12. Now 171,500 miles as at Oct 2017. Now sold to fellow forum member.
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:44 PM

I HAD thought that, if I was to go again and having had a full refurb of both front and back brakes, I might try a track session. Would it be a good idea to upgrade the pads for the event? - I've got standard Brembo (not Brembo Sport) pads on the front and Mintex (IIRC) in the rear.
Old 2nd September 2017, 04:08 PM

Default Track day brakes

Hi David,

There are 2 big factors which affect braking ability on track based on my (very limited) experience, namely weight and speed. Once I built some confidence and after some instruction from David Da Costa, I was pushing hard on the brakes. I was braking hard enough to feel the rear go light. You need pads which will take sustained punishment and calipers/ fluid which can dissipate the heat.

I had a fluid change and spent some time bedding the pads in, even at the circuit. Once they had been through a couple of big heat cycles they were superb. My discs were new at rear and good condition at front.

I use EBS yellow stuff pads and only have experience of standard pads on my S8 to compare with. I hear Ferodo 2511 are good but no personal experience.

The advice from David Da Costa was most road cars get fade on track so back off and let them cool off for a couple of laps.

I must say the experience was wonderful. The organisers had put bollards out to mark turn in, braking and turn out points which was very helpful as a track novice. I had a couple of overshoots due to over enthusiasm/ or lack of skill at the chicane but it helped prove where and how hard you could brake and still make the corner.

In summary, go for it and enjoy yourself, whichever track it is. If there is instruction available, grab it with both hands.

Cheers

Richard
2006 Audi S8 V10 Now Sold. Akoya Silver with black/grey leather, standard 20" wheels, hybrid TV, Bang & Olufssen audio, Heated seats front and rear, Dension ipod integration, DAB radio, keyless entry, rear electric blind, bluetooth connection to Apple iphone6S. Started at 60,000 miles end April 12. Now 171,500 miles as at Oct 2017. Now sold to fellow forum member.
Old 3rd September 2017, 01:12 PM

now my uk residence is near to hand they have gone and moved the date to september when I am at my french residence!!!

c'est la vie
Old 4th September 2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardracer View Post
Hi David,

There are 2 big factors which affect braking ability on track based on my (very limited) experience, namely weight and speed. Once I built some confidence and after some instruction from David Da Costa, I was pushing hard on the brakes. I was braking hard enough to feel the rear go light. You need pads which will take sustained punishment and calipers/ fluid which can dissipate the heat.

I had a fluid change and spent some time bedding the pads in, even at the circuit. Once they had been through a couple of big heat cycles they were superb. My discs were new at rear and good condition at front.

I use EBS yellow stuff pads and only have experience of standard pads on my S8 to compare with. I hear Ferodo 2511 are good but no personal experience.

The advice from David Da Costa was most road cars get fade on track so back off and let them cool off for a couple of laps.

I must say the experience was wonderful. The organisers had put bollards out to mark turn in, braking and turn out points which was very helpful as a track novice. I had a couple of overshoots due to over enthusiasm/ or lack of skill at the chicane but it helped prove where and how hard you could brake and still make the corner.

In summary, go for it and enjoy yourself, whichever track it is. If there is instruction available, grab it with both hands.

Cheers

Richard
Sounds like useful advice to me. I've got EBC Yellow pads on mine at the moment and the rear disks will need replacing with the next pad change so could be a good send off for them
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 4th September 2017, 12:29 PM

Sorry one and all.
Unfortunately I have to cancel my attendance to this event, due to unforeseen circumstances.
I have cancelled my Hotel at the Bollingbroke, so there is a spare room available if anyone wants it.

Neil, can you cancel my Big Boys Breakfast as well.

There may be a slim chance I may be able to arrive later in the day. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope to see everyone that attends.

David
Sony rear entertainment package.
Bose sound system.
Audi Navigation Plus.
20 inch Final Edition alloys
Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble :
1997 A8 Quattro Sport - Now sold when S8 FE purchased
Old 4th September 2017, 12:31 PM

1. Architex mA8tey 1 Car 1 Person 1 Brekkie
2. CANCELLED
3. Mikki Jayne - TBC
4. Richard Racer
5. HPSauce - 1 car, 1 person, 1 brekkie. May decide later to bring SWMBO and stay over
6. RS6 - x2 persons
7. Ctl - 1 car 1 (pos 2) persons, FBB
8. Pete-p - 1 car 2 persons
9. Conquistador - 1 car, 2 persons
10. Arturas - 1 car 2 persons

Possibles:
1. Bert Y. D2 S8 - 1 Person
2. Alix S D2 S8 - 1 Person
Sony rear entertainment package.
Bose sound system.
Audi Navigation Plus.
20 inch Final Edition alloys
Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble :
1997 A8 Quattro Sport - Now sold when S8 FE purchased

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 4th September 2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 5th September 2017, 06:28 PM

I'm gutted but going to have to pull out this year, car needs needs some work, which is booked in end of the month so going to have to save my cash gutted as was epic last year!

2. CANCELLED
3. Mikki Jayne - TBC
4. Richard Racer
5. HPSauce - 1 car, 1 person, 1 brekkie. May decide later to bring SWMBO and stay over
6. RS6 - CANCELLED
Mercedes Benz CLS 500 - Sold
Corsa VXR Nurburgring - Sold
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 6th September 2017, 09:34 AM

I can't make it either sorry. Far too much to do

2. CANCELLED
3. Mikki Jayne - Cancelled
4. Richard Racer
6. RS6 - CANCELLED