A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 23rd August 2016, 05:37 PM

Default General questions

Just looking for some answers to general questions on the D3 FL S8

1 - Is the battery sealed or standard? I don't use her often enough to charge I think as I get intermittent battery warnings, clears after a long run, seems to tally with the boot motor working when the car is running and after runs but not if I've just pottering.

2 - Whats the button next to the steering column controls, its just a round in out job, can't see it doing anything

3 - How to I throttle memory potentiometer reset? she's a little jerky sometimes, I used to reset on my B6 S4 and it helped, don't know the process on this thing, is it the same as the D2

Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 05:47 PM

If it's the same as the D2, it's just an on/off switch for the steering column controls.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 23rd August 2016, 06:17 PM

1. Battery charge almost definitely low. Give it a full charge and invest in a battery maintenance charger. You'll find the battery level display in the MMI. Convenience features are temporarily disabled on a low battery charge condition. Failing that, buy a new battery.

2. The button on the left hand side of the steering column enables and disables the 'easy entry' feature. This is when the steering wheel moves up and away from you on ignition off, and back to the previous position with ignition on.

3. I'm not sure on resetting the throttle. I tried it once on a D3 S8, but not sure if it actually worked; it was very difficult to tell, since I still ended up getting whiplash when I brushed the throttle pedal with my toe.

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Multi-Franchise Main Dealer during the day, Amateur vehicle enthusiast by night.
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the replies, Pug - I have a charger conditioner but there is a switch for Standard and Sealed batteries so I don't want to make a guess and mess it up.

Anyone know what type it is? Any way of telling?
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:10 PM

Sounds like an older charger. Most batteries these days are maintenance free and do not require topping up like older batteries did. I would only use an auto-sensing charger, since it will stop charging when the battery is charged.

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Multi-Franchise Main Dealer during the day, Amateur vehicle enthusiast by night.
Old 24th August 2016, 08:47 AM

Just ordered a CTEK MSX7.0 from amazon, bargain at £93

Will hook it up and see what happens, means when I get the lithium Odyssey in the Track car I can use it for that after.

Thanks for the replies to questions
Old 24th August 2016, 10:47 AM

To know for sure what kind of battery you have you will need to look at the actual battery. Sealed could refer to either maintenance free battery which still has went holes and would leak when turned upside down or it could refer to fully sealed battery that would be just fine if you landed on roof or on the side like Optima or many AGM batteries. The setting on charger probably refers to fully sealed batteries that would not leak upside down but they would need slower lower voltage charging to prevent pressure buildup but many of AGM batteries can still take a lot of current because the surface area of plates is a lot larger and the final charging voltage need to be higher. Many chargers will have AGM setting as well. You will most likely have maintenance free but not fully sealed battery so which would require standard setting.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 24th August 2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 24th August 2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
You'll find the battery level display in the MMI.
hmmm, just went out to the car and I can't find this anywhere... any pointers?
Old 24th August 2016, 01:17 PM

It was disabled in a lot of MMI updates as it was pretty pants tbh.

I know.. I know..

Old 24th August 2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
hmmm, just went out to the car and I can't find this anywhere... any pointers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyqNki4NMWo