A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 19th June 2019, 01:15 PM

Default Raining Cats and Dogs - I Wish!

One of these days I will get a lucky break, and today isn't that day!

Was wakened in the middle of the night by an almighty bang, but since it was dark, wet and windy, I just rolled over and went back to sleep. Well, got up later and wandered around the house trying to find out what had happened, and came across this!

Chimney pot decided it didn't want to live anymore, so took a dive.

I've already got in contact with the insurance company, and have someone coming out next week to replace it. The question is has anyone ever removed the rear window, as I'm concerned about the various electrical connections to it? I've tried the usual Google and YouTube searches as well, but not getting anything.

I've had a read through the tech dump document 28-Service Manual Exterior, and am somewhat concerned about some of the stated requirements to do the job. The main ones are as follows (which don't appear too daunting):
  • C-pillar trim and D-pillar trim removed
  • High-level brake light removed

but my big concern is this one further down the instructions, after the window is removed:
  • Remove rear shelf

as according to the tech dump document 29-Service Manual Interior, that involves removing the entire back seat, seat belts and C and D-pillar trims mentioned above.

I'm concerned that autoglass may not know the complexities of what's involved in removing all this, and may break or damage some parts in the process (something I've already observed when retrofitting the ACC and reinstalling the OEM suspension), and I'm wondering if I should tackle dismantling the interior myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S8backwindow-outside.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	907.5 KB
ID:	21844   Click image for larger version

Name:	S8backwindow-inside.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	844.3 KB
ID:	21845  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 19th June 2019, 09:37 PM

Bad luck Sean.
Look what happened to my son's windscreen during last night.

Somebody collected a lump of concrete, walked between my neighbour's and my car to cross the road to Craig's. Hurled the concrete at his windscreen doing the damage seen in the photo. The lump sailed over the car and landed on the road behind. It must have been thrown with some force.
We think it was targeted. Have an idea who but can't prove it.
He and his wife have had a crap couple of weeks. They were rebuilding their house but were rained off the week before Falmouth and last week he went down with a very badly infected leg, three days in hospital and now two weeks of hospital at home. Looks like I have them until next year now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_204817[1].jpg
Views:	385
Size:	520.0 KB
ID:	21851  

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 19th June 2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Bad luck Sean.
Look what happened to my son's windscreen during last night.
Sickening! Ray, I shall remain civil on here and refrain from really saying what I think about those who did that. Hope Craig and his car recover soon.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 20th June 2019, 08:35 AM

I had the rear screen replaced on mine - C pillars and antenna+cover came out, everything else stayed put.
Old 20th June 2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
I had the rear screen replaced on mine - C pillars and antenna+cover came out, everything else stayed put.
Perfect. I shall be tackling those over the weekend, so if any of it gets damaged/broken, then it's my fault.

Old 20th June 2019, 08:04 PM

I'd let them do it, but watch like a hawk. Autoglass did offer to replace both A pillar trims on one of my A8s as they had painted the grey alcantara with a black sealer......

As it happens, once re-assembled you couldn't notice it, so I didn't go down that route, but the offer was there
Old 20th June 2019, 08:52 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

wow

I hope it didn't damage any paintwork Sean

And hopefully not on Craig's car either, Ray. B@####ds!
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 20th June 2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
I'd let them do it, but watch like a hawk.
I plan to watch them anyway, as I doubt they know the intricacies of every single window they replace, and I can be prepared to warn them about various connections. I'm also intrigued to see how they actually do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
wow

I hope it didn't damage any paintwork Sean
:
In some ways I consider myself lucky as I reckon it could have been much worse. I park the D2 at the front of the house, and it will always be parked within a couple of inches of the same spot, time after time, but because of where the S8 is parked round the back, it can be a matter of feet out and at at different angles.

Had it have been even half an inch further back, then it would have damaged the roof and window, further back and it could have got the sunroof, and further forward could have got the boot. As it is, there is a small nick on the very edge of the roof about 5mm long, and a much 'larger' 10mm scuff mark a little further along. When I was picking up the debris, I even found pieces six feet in front of the car!

Old 20th June 2019, 09:45 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
In some ways I consider myself lucky as I reckon it could have been much worse. I park the D2 at the front of the house, and it will always be parked within a couple of inches of the same spot, time after time, but because of where the S8 is parked round the back, it can be a matter of feet out and at at different angles.

Had it have been even half an inch further back, then it would have damaged the roof and window, further back and it could have got the sunroof, and further forward could have got the boot. As it is, there is a small nick on the very edge of the roof about 5mm long, and a much 'larger' 10mm scuff mark a little further along. When I was picking up the debris, I even found pieces six feet in front of the car!
That certainly was very lucky! Not so much that the chimney pot fell onto the car, but at least glass is relatively easy to replace.

Sounds like you need to build a car port, which is something I've been planning to do myself for a long time.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 20th June 2019, 10:43 PM

Autoglass came today and it took exactly one hour.
One man on his own, and he was a scouser.
Brilliant worker, and the kit in his van, an absolute Pro. Didn't mind us watching and did join in the banter.
No mess, no hiccups, even got the old one out in one piece. Big thing is that he had the correct replacement first time. Autoglass have improved.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)