A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 28th August 2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Slowly getting there Andy, good stuff
Check the rad, when I was changing my cam I wasn't happy with mine so I changed it. When I had belt off I also changed the rollers, tensioners, pump, thermostat as they all are not that expensive, but if one fails or rollers will get noise, it's all over again.
Will have a look tomorrow - need it sorted for next week as mine goes in for some work!!

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 29th August 2014, 06:04 PM

Update:

Sussed it - removed the engine support arm off the front and the oil cooler just slides in

Didn't have to take the fan off the bracket either - just removed the blades and you can just about get a socket in there to undo the bolt, then after removing the other 2 bolts, you can move it forward and continue undoing the bolt until it comes off - simples.

Checked the water pump and the rest of the hoses and they all look good (as do the belt guides)
Just putting everything back now and will then see if I still have a leak

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 29th August 2014, 06:04 PM

Update:

So - a few pics of the area where the oil cooler should go and also of the new metal pipe (thanks again ainarssems ):

Pulled the front engine mount off and it made the process soo easy:

So now all fitted

Filled the engine up with new oil (and fitted a new oil filter) - added around 8 litres of water (wasn't going to use antifreeze) and ran it for around 20 minutes with no loss of coolant

Will flush the coolant tomorrow and add the anti-freeze then put the front end back on and see how we go.

Cheers

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 30th August 2014, 05:24 PM

No leaks so the front was put back on but discovered that I had a cabling dangling when I went underneath to put the undertray back on - whoops

After asking on here - went back out and located where it should go - at the bottom of the radiator on the offside

Put it back together and replaced the water I had filled it up to check for leaks with a 50/50 mix of G12 antifreeze and distilled water.

Front back on with all the bits and bobs and went for a spin.

Damn - temperature shot up so had to pull over.
Lifted the bonnet and all the coolant was still there so I have another issue bu the looks of things

Could be an air lock so will check for that or could be the thermostat which I believe is another front end off - damn (sure there is a moral to this story and I am sure that someone will be along to tell me that )

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 1st September 2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Hi Andy, now you've got that far it's a no brainer having a look. Replace that plastic pipe anyway now you’re in there. Check the thermostat as well as the block corrodes around the hole. Take the cam covers off, you might have to let the rads go at the top to give you a bit more room to check the water pump. Only other thing I can think of is the rad its self weeping and its running back down the pipe?
It's not a front end off job mate you can get to it by moving the top hose out your way a bit of a knuckle scraper but it can be done. The 3 bolts may be a touch tight and make sure you pick up or have included a new O ring for it. You will loose some of that nice new antifreeze so a clean catcher under the car too.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 1st September 2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
It's not a front end off job mate you can get to it by moving the top hose out your way a bit of a knuckle scraper but it can be done. The 3 bolts may be a touch tight and make sure you pick up or have included a new O ring for it. You will loose some of that nice new antifreeze so a clean catcher under the car too.
Cheers - would it be a good move to replace the water pump to as this is in front of it?

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 1st September 2014, 11:50 AM

The pump is beside the thermostat so you can change it out without even removing a cam cover. Only 2 bolts too and not 3 as i eariler suggested

Conan kindly removed an engine so we could get a better look.

The system is fitted with bleed valves on the pipe at the bulkhead to make that bit esier for you and try that first i would.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine w-cover.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	8949   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	8950   Click image for larger version

Name:	bleed valves.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	8951  

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 1st September 2014, 11:57 AM

Yours is FL so thermostat will be behind cambelt. While it is possible to do it without front end removal it's a lot easier with it in service position. Dezzy's pictures show PF which is a lot easier to change thermostat but pump is belt off job on PF as well.

Just for reference if somebody else is looking circled in red in Dezzys pictures is thermostat, the water pump is in yellow below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	8952  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 1st September 2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 1st September 2014, 02:12 PM

Cheers both - so front off and move the cam belt forward so the coolant pipe and metal housing can be moved forward and out so the thermostat can then be removed........

Nice job for me this week then after work.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 1st September 2014, 02:54 PM

Pdf's for thermostat and cambelt attached for FL 40v engine
Attached Files
File Type: pdf thermostat.pdf (70.5 KB, 241 views)
File Type: pdf cambelt.pdf (547.7 KB, 297 views)

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure