A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 16th July 2013, 10:38 AM

Default Sensor refurb

The sensor itself will be fine....it will either be dirty or the wiring from the sensor has break in it.....if the sensor won't budge you have the following options...

1. Remove outer cv joint and hammer out sensor
2. Replace the wiring and if need be remove outer cv joint and give the sensor a clean from the inside

Just depends how particular you would like to be.
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012

Old 16th July 2013, 10:38 AM

If the picture is anything to judge by then it is for PF car. They claim it is for 1994-2003 which is clearly not right as PF and FL sensors are different. Top PF, bottom FL

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoffman_4D0927803.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	6393   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqN,!o8FBkT2zGLGBQq-ZZp6gw~~60_12.JPG
Views:	497
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	6394  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 16th July 2013, 11:13 AM

Thanks guys, advice much appreciated.
The FL sensor picture posted by ainar looks even more like the fitted one as there is no shiny metal collar and the top of the sensor has an offset screwhole where the retaining screw goes. Looks like I need to look harder!

The old unit is budging slightly. I will have a further goe this pm to see if I can finally remove it - it will have had a further 24hrs with pentrating oil on it.
Old 16th July 2013, 02:55 PM

However, having looked again, the picture above of the FL sensor shows a double pigtail - one obviously the ABS sensor and the other looking like the brake pad wear sensor connection. Mine (FL,2002) has two entirely separate cables for these systems. I have checked the part number on the installed ABS sensor cable which is 4DO 927803 suffix "E" .
Old 16th July 2013, 05:06 PM

Not sure if it's the same on the D2 as the D3, but my PF had what I thought was a failed ABS sensor, it was a bugger to get out and the replacement wouldn't go in. turned out the bearing had failed causing the reluctor ring to move closer to the carrier

I know.. I know..