A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 1st February 2012, 01:18 PM

12mm was the thickness of the pad for mine. Checking the EPB deactivation tool that I used it shows calibrations from 3mm up to 14mm.

The EPB tool I used is supposed to clear codes, and showed a parking brake fault, when the new pads and discs were fitted I cleared the codes, the tool says there are no faults but I still have a warning coming up on the instrument cluster so I need to visit my friendly garage and see if he can clear it for me
Old 1st February 2012, 03:48 PM

Did you run the adaptation that cycles the caliper before closing it to confirm the procedure is complete ?
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:37 AM

I did run the adaptation cycle Godders but still the light came on.

I called my friendly garage this morning and explained the situation, he said that the rear brakes would not be throwing the fault and suggested I check the front pad warning sensor wires as they have a habit of corroding. Guess what?... the light was caused by a broken front wire now I'm unsure if I changed the rear pads too soon as there was still a couple of mm left on them

For anyone thinking of changing their own rear pads:-
The only part of changing the rear pads that confused me was when I de-activated the EPB, I expected the pistons to retract fully into the calipers, they don't, you have to manually press then back before fitting the new pads

This was the EPB tool I used.

Old 2nd February 2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godders View Post
It uses the measurement and the known travel for each rotation of the stepper motor in the caliper. Every few hundred miles once you stop, exit and lock the car, provided you've left the handbrake off (level surface and in Park) the caliper will cycle the pad in a nd out to check the remaining pad material.

Excerpt taken from an Audi SSP (translated from German so doesn't read too well) :

"Brake pad wear detection and correction clearance
The pad thickness is cycled (every 500 km) when the vehicle is stationary and parking brake is not actuated. It is designed to automatically cycle the brake pad from the zero position (= position in final position) against the brake disc down. The control unit determines from the Hall sensor the measured value from running the brake lining and it can calculate the pad thickness. The measurement takes place when the vehicle is parked, Ignition switch and parking brake is not closed. If a driver uses the parking brake regularly, the wear measurement may be less accurate than for rarely used Parking brake."

So if you're leaving your car on a level surface leave the handbrake off occasionally.
It's snippets like that that are gold dust! We had a thread on weird cycling of the parking brake a while ago and nobody came up with a proper explanation. Thanks Godders
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:14 PM

Any time, only stumbled upon it when I was putting my court case together (5 weeks and counting) to prove the trader I bought the car off of was talking rubbish amongst other stuff.

Been a busy week on the road this week, the old girl has just done her 2nd for the week
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles

Last edited by Godders; 2nd February 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:36 PM

47p2, that's what happened to me, I got a brake wear warning and looked through the wheels, the rears were more worn than fronts, so I ordered these and replaced them and found it was the fact that a previous owner or their garage had cut the wires on the front pads and twisted them together and this had corroded.

If you need to repair yours, I can send you the part numbers, or even post the parts, a new connector with boot and with two wires clicked into the connector.. They come in a pack of three you see. I cut the old wires down to shiny wire, twisted and soldered on the new ones and used heat shrink with glue inside to seal them up.

Last edited by snapdragon; 2nd February 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 2nd February 2012, 03:37 PM

Thanks snapdragon, if you have the part numbers there I would appreciate that. I've twisted the wired together for the time being, there is loads of pad left on the front so I won't be inspecting it further until the weather warms up a little. When I bought the car I did notice the rear pads were well down (much further than I would normally allow) and had purchased the EPB tool a few weeks ago intending on changing them, so when the warning light came on I naturally thought it was the rears causing the problem. Oh well I won't need to worry about the rear brakes for a while.
Old 2nd February 2012, 03:59 PM

Qty Partnumber Price Title

1J0973702 1.6 flat connector housing - brake pad wear display 2 pin black

000-979-131 5.25 repair wire 5 pack

1J0906102 0.5 grommet 8,2X40

----------------------------------

211611483 brake nipple dust cap
Old 2nd February 2012, 04:02 PM

Many thanks