A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 12th April 2011, 03:21 PM

Default Adaptive Suspension - Dead ECU

Well my suspension warning light (amber) illuminated last Friday and after running a VAG-COM scan found the following error :

Address 34: Level Control Labels: 4E0-910-553.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 553 D HW: 4E0 907 553 D
Component: LUFTFDR.-CDC H04 6230
Coding: 0015500
Shop #: WSC 02313 785 00200
VCID: 244C15949E5D

2 Faults Found:
01772 - Signal from Level Control Pressure Sensor (G291)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 9
Mileage: 222736 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.04.04
Time: 06:42:27

01487 - System Function Test
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 0 km

The 01772 fault has been there a while (next job unless this fixed it - finger crossed) but the 01487 was new

The car drove awfully as it had defaulted to the harder damper settings and understeered terribly I guess due to the accelleration sensors not playing their part in the equation.

After reading the Ross Tech Wiki and following the instructions I wasn't able to access the controller so in a vain hope that it may be something simple spent most of the weekend unplugging and plugging in components in the circuit thinking it may a bad connector.

Long story short the ECU was fried so I had to order a new one - here's the shock £483.08 + VAT Retail and only 8% off trade . I had to ask them to repeat it twice as I didn't believe it !

Just for grins I called my local Audi 'dealer', they wanted at least 2 hours for guided fault finding and 'if' it was the ECU 2 hours to fit and adapt plus parts

Thanks to VAGCOM I replaced the ECU and ran the adaptation and normal service has been resumed - it takes less than an hour to remove, refit and adapt.

Moral of this story, VAGCOM and the internet can save you heaps

For anybody that's interested the Self Study Program for the A8 adaptive air suspension system can be found here :

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cbba705/n/SSP_292.pdf - Hope I've not contravened any copyright laws here but it can be found in many other places on the net
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles

Last edited by Godders; 12th April 2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12th April 2011, 09:18 PM

have you actually tested that this isn't the fuse between the ecu and the power supply?

I thought my ECU was fried and it ended up being a £1 fuse under the passenger footwell. (massive orange fuse - you cant miss it)

Sorry if this is aready fixed-just might be worth checking if you haven't already replaced the suspension ECU.

Bex

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 13th April 2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8L Chick View Post
have you actually tested that this isn't the fuse between the ecu and the power supply?

I thought my ECU was fried and it ended up being a £1 fuse under the passenger footwell. (massive orange fuse - you cant miss it)

Sorry if this is aready fixed-just might be worth checking if you haven't already replaced the suspension ECU.

Bex
I wish it had been as simple as that, I spent most of Sunday messing crawling around the car checking connections, relays and components. Thanks to Google, ELSAWIN and the SSP document.

The only thing left was to replace the ECU which solved to problem immediately.

On the positive side I've had a brake light switch error for ages and finally got around to checking and fixing that, a squirt of WD to free it off, a drop of white grease to keep it moving and correct adjustment and I no longer have any switch issues
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles
Old 13th April 2011, 05:48 PM

Aah bugger-it least you did't need the air suspension compressor-gulp

That was the next item I needed after the fuse

Glad it's sorted though

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.