A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 14th June 2011, 01:52 PM

Default New Suspension Problem.

After driving a brief (and I mean really brief) journey to tesco@s last night, I noticed the car was rather "bouncy", I initially put it don to the fact I was driving in "DYNAMIC" not my usual "COMFORT" setting.

Parked up at Tesco, got out and locked her up and then noticed the rear end was literally sat on her arse????

Now, as cool as it looked, I was a little confused. I know there are no issues with the compressor, fuses, ECU etc as they are new or tested.

After the car had been left to power down for a few mins, i started her back up and selected "LIFT". Up the rear went, as did the front-just as though nothing had happened. "COMFORT" mode was then selected and she lowered back down to the correct level. Drove her home, locked her up and levels were fine.

This morning I have done the same journey and exactly the same thing has happened. I breifly had an amber only level warning and then the green "too low" warning light on its own. Again after letting her power down and repeating the above processshe's back to normal.

The front does actually look rather high though, but I can't be sure that I am not just panicking.

I will try to plug into VAG-COM later but any ideas/thoughts/past similar problems and solutions would be greatly received. I am waiting on Audi to get back to me on how much the rear level senders are. [GULP]

Bex

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 15th June 2011, 09:11 AM

Just to update, I ran out of time yesterday to use VCDS so I will be doing it today. I shall update with my findings later on

Bex

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 15th June 2011, 06:27 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Has one of the level sensor broken. The bit between the chassis and suspension?

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 15th June 2011, 07:23 PM

Hope you get it sorted Bex!
Old 15th June 2011, 07:32 PM

Hi Bex
After all the compressor stuff I do hope this turns out to be something straightforward
Best of luck sorting it out, have you checked the links and the wires/connections to see if anything is loose?

All the best Glyn
Old 15th June 2011, 11:05 PM

Thanks for all the kind words. It does seem the suspension on my car has had enough lol.

I used VCDS and it threw up the ECU fault code 01780 and the level sensor fault code 00775 (OS Rear level sender), so I have ordered the sender, will be with me Friday.

I shall keep you all updated once I have fitted it.

Bex

Old 16th June 2011, 05:14 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8L Chick View Post
Thanks for all the kind words. It does seem the suspension on my car has had enough lol.

I used VCDS and it threw up the ECU fault code 01780 and the level sensor fault code 00775 (OS Rear level sender), so I have ordered the sender, will be with me Friday.

I shall keep you all updated once I have fitted it.

Bex
The Rosstech Wiki only has the 00775 fault here.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
The Rosstech Wiki only has the 00775 fault here.
Apparently it will throw up the ECU error code as default. So I am ignoring it for now. At £579.70 for a new ECU I think I'd rather spend £107.67 for a new sender

Bex

Old 4th July 2011, 06:49 AM

All sorted now Bex?
Old 4th July 2011, 09:37 PM

Sorry to hear that your suspension is playing up... or down Bex.

Have you had any joy with the sender unit?