A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 7th October 2010, 07:12 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Red face 2002 S8 cat/exhaust - HELP!

Now I'm getting desperate! I can't find a 'type approved' nearside cat for my 2002 S8 anywhere and Audi want £740 plus fitting. I've also beem advised by Ben (ex AVP I think) that I should not replace just one cat or there will be 'issues'.
So far, I've had someone offer to get the cat under an earlier registration plate (so the type approval doesn't apply), but A4 Audi (independent Audi garage in Glasgow) say that will trip the warning lights, someone else say that an A8 4.2 cat will be OK (and I can get one on ebay), someone else says don't buy an aftermarket cat anyway 'cos they're rubbish, and (my only hope so far) MJC (I think) in Walsall offer 2 sports cats and a custom after cat system for around £850 (tempting, but I'm in Scotland!).
Jeez, I just bought the car and thought it was great....for a while... but there must be a better solution (although if all else fails, I'm taking a day off to drive 5 hours each way to MJC!).

If anyone has been here before,please pointme in the right direction. Thanks
Old 7th October 2010, 07:48 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Remember all your cats do is reduce emissions and allow you to pass the emissions test at MOT time. It does nothing for your engine except give the ECU information about exhaust gas composition.

The Lambda probe before the cat tells the ECU how well the combustion process is doing and helps adjust the mixture accordingly.

The Lambda probe after the cat passes information about how well the cat is improving emissions. If this one is defective or passes out of tolerance information then the ECU will try to compensate.

If you put after market cats on then there is a good possibility duff information will go back to the ECU because it will not get the pre-set readings it's expecting, you could well be ok but the ECU doesn't know this. To overcome this people that use after market cats modify the Lambda housings so the probes are out of the exhaust gas flow.

I'll look for the topic and post back.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 8th October 2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue8 View Post
Now I'm getting desperate! I can't find a 'type approved' nearside cat for my 2002 S8 anywhere and Audi want £740 plus fitting. I've also beem advised by Ben (ex AVP I think) that I should not replace just one cat or there will be 'issues'.
So far, I've had someone offer to get the cat under an earlier registration plate (so the type approval doesn't apply), but A4 Audi (independent Audi garage in Glasgow) say that will trip the warning lights, someone else say that an A8 4.2 cat will be OK (and I can get one on ebay), someone else says don't buy an aftermarket cat anyway 'cos they're rubbish, and (my only hope so far) MJC (I think) in Walsall offer 2 sports cats and a custom after cat system for around £850 (tempting, but I'm in Scotland!).
Jeez, I just bought the car and thought it was great....for a while... but there must be a better solution (although if all else fails, I'm taking a day off to drive 5 hours each way to MJC!).

If anyone has been here before,please pointme in the right direction. Thanks
That's expensive. Go to Simon's exhausts in East Kilbride. He put two sports cats one of my previous S8s for £400 and I then got Wayne's Angle Blocks to take the post cat O2 sensors out of the mix. They were less than £100.
Old 8th October 2010, 07:17 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutherland View Post
That's expensive. Go to Simon's exhausts in East Kilbride. He put two sports cats one of my previous S8s for £400 and I then got Wayne's Angle Blocks to take the post cat O2 sensors out of the mix. They were less than £100.

That's the jolly old dog's biscuit! Here is a photo of said block

Here is the thread I was referring to.

A photo of it in use.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.

Previously
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
Old 8th October 2010, 08:54 AM

Thanks loads guys!

Simon's Exhausts passed me on to Semtech Motors in Kirkintilloch, so I'm taking the car in for them to have a look and to quote for 2 sports cats and a cat back system. Any thoughts? They also queried what had caused the cat to fail, so they'll test for that too. But as I had it on PsYcHe's VAG COM last week, would whatever the problem is not have shown up then?
Old 8th October 2010, 09:22 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

If there were any injector issues or misfires it should have done.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,

Previously
Old 8th October 2010, 10:10 AM

The report from PsYcHe’s VAG COM had faults in 2 areas:

1. Centr. Locks Labels 2 faults
Key 2 adaption limit suppressed
Alarm Horn Internal Supply Voltage

2. Auto trans Labels 2 Faults
Pressure control valve 2: open or short to ground. Intermittent
Pressure control valve 3: open or short to ground. Intermittent

But everything seems to be working OK. Both keys work, the alarm works and the gearbox selector lights/ limp mode was only for a couple of minutes and has been fine now for over 500 miles.

Any ideas?
Old 11th October 2010, 03:28 PM

The first one is ust the alarms internal battery i think i remember reading about it before. Can't help others