A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 13th January 2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
My Galletto V54 works on W10, but have not done any actual mapping yet on A8, just read the files and some test writes on A6. I am more busy at both jobs on the run up to Christmas as usual and again during lockdown so not had much time, off this week to keep kids company while the school is closed so maybe will get some done during nights.
It didn’t help that the ac adaptor they sent has a Chinese plug, rather than the UK plug, currently trying to get them to understand that issue and get it resolved..... not happy
I have now configured one laptop back to Windows 7, so will try to install the software one both a 7 and 10 machine, once I can power it up....!!!
Old 13th January 2021, 08:38 PM

in other news though i've been cheered up with the arrival of these 4 lumps

Last edited by 89forever; 14th August 2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 13th January 2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89forever View Post
It didn’t help that the ac adaptor they sent has a Chinese plug, rather than the UK plug, currently trying to get them to understand that issue and get it resolved..... not happy
I have now configured one laptop back to Windows 7, so will try to install the software one both a 7 and 10 machine, once I can power it up....!!!
You do not need the power adaptor when using through OBD in the car as it gets power from OBD plug. Only needs power if working on the bench off the car in which case I just use small12V battery like in motorcycles/ mobility scooters or jumpstarters.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 17th January 2021, 03:03 PM

of course..... you are correct.
So, finally having sorted a Windows 7 laptop i went back to installing the software and updating the drivers and we now have the computer communicating with the Galletto and able to see the cars ecu.... and there i stopped.... a couple of thing stopped me
Snow and it being miserable outside
A battery on the laptop not being the most robust and needing the power lead on it at all times
I discovered that the battery on the A8 isn't optimal and whilst the car starts fine, if you sit with the ignition on for any short length of time it runs flat instantly, so to proceed it needs a charger connecting to maintain the electrical current.

Knowing how easy it is to brick an ecu i want to wait until the weather is better and get set up comfortably and not have any electric disruptions for fear of it dying, or spiking and bricking the ecu and immobilising the car for daily use....!!!

However i feel it has made a (small) step forward..... and the seller finally admitted that the plug they sent was incorrect so i am expecting a plug adapter so i can bench flash as well if needs be.....
Old 17th January 2021, 03:16 PM

one thing i do intend doing though prior to any map install is data logging the standard car.... for a couple of reasons

a/ to ensure MAF's are reading correctly and to see what figures they are running
b/ to ensure there are no boost leaks
c/ to ensure the wastegate control circuits are working
d/ to have a baseline for figures once the new map is on
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:16 AM

another piece of the puzzle arrived safely in the post today

full interior LED kit from EMTuning.... i asked Trupp's if he had anything to offer for the revers lights, knowing the bulb is unique to Audi.
"give me a couple of weeks" came the reply.....

direct replacement for the standard Audi halogen lamp....

fitting report soon and i can rid the outdated yellowness of the standard interior lamps.....
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
full interior LED kit from EMTuning.... i asked Trupp's if he had anything to offer for the revers lights, knowing the bulb is unique to Audi.
Not trying to take away sales from EMTuning, but you can buy LED lights from the likes of eBay/AliExpress that will fit the reversing lights. I originally posted about them 5-6 years ago and it was mentioned again fairly recently.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Not trying to take away sales from EMTuning, but you can buy LED lights from the likes of eBay/AliExpress that will fit the reversing lights. I originally posted about them 5-6 years ago and it was mentioned again fairly recently.
There are always other options, however i know what i get from EM, having used their products on numerous Audi's over the years, they always work first time and to date never had any lamp blow or fail. I'd rather not risk the Ebay/AliExpress option of their sales pitch saying XYZ always works... and there is always great Tech support from Trupp's and he always answer my inane ramblings with extreme professionalism.

I prefer peace of mind, ever if sometimes it comes at a premium....
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:33 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
+1

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 23rd January 2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
There are always other options, however i know what i get from EM, having used their products on numerous Audi's over the years, they always work first time and to date never had any lamp blow or fail. I'd rather not risk the Ebay/AliExpress option of their sales pitch saying XYZ always works... and there is always great Tech support from Trupp's and he always answer my inane ramblings with extreme professionalism.

And major point on a cold February day, he makes a really good cuppa.
He covered my D3 beautifully. I did purchase spares but never used one of them so they have been fitted to my son's A8.
Long live Trups.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)